Swapping a UK driving license for an EU license - TheRealAlexB

I will soon be moving to the Netherlands and will be required to swap my UK driving license for an EU one. Does this make my UK license null and void? I still want to maintain a presence in the UK, and will keep a car there. Will I be able to drive in the UK and insure the car on an EU license? Can I have both a UK and an EU license?

Swapping a UK driving license for an EU license - Brit_in_Germany

If you act before the end of the year you can swap one for the other. To keep both you can simply take the test in the Netherlands. If you do swap, you will have to hand in your UK licence. You will be able to drive in the UK for six months each visit (I believe) but you might have problems insuring.

Swapping a UK driving license for an EU license - focussed

Your driving entitlement will remain recorded by the DVLA. It's worth getting a copy sent or emailed to you in case they"lose" it.

If you want to game the system get a replacement UK licence as if you have mislaid the original. When you move to the Netherlands you hand in the replacement and keep the original.

There is no "simply" in the Netherlands ;-) You can't just take the test, you have to go through an expensive training course as well. Same for their language test, you have to pay for lessons even if you are a fluent Dutch speaker.

I was thinking of doing the report as lost replacement thing, but wondered if the UK DVLA would get notified by the Dutch authorities and that would remove my UK driving entitlement. I guess in that case it would be simpler, and a lot cheaper, to just re-take the UK test. I'm sure it is just the same as it was 35 years ago.

Swapping a UK driving license for an EU license - galileo

There is no "simply" in the Netherlands ;-) You can't just take the test, you have to go through an expensive training course as well. Same for their language test, you have to pay for lessons even if you are a fluent Dutch speaker.

I was thinking of doing the report as lost replacement thing, but wondered if the UK DVLA would get notified by the Dutch authorities and that would remove my UK driving entitlement. I guess in that case it would be simpler, and a lot cheaper, to just re-take the UK test. I'm sure it is just the same as it was 35 years ago.

Is your last sentence ironic? Didn't think there was a theory test or demonstrating ability to follow a SatNav 35 years ago.

Edited by galileo on 16/10/2020 at 12:16

Is your last sentence ironic?

Yes.

Swapping a UK driving license for an EU license - focussed

Only a court can remove your driving entitlement.

The dutch authorities will contact the DVLA to check your entitlement when you swap your new replacement UK licence for the Dutch licence.

How is anybody going to know or care that that you "found" your old licence?

The rule on not being able to have licences from two different countries is an EU rule - so is fair game for getting around it IMHO.

I think you're right. I checked the DVLA web site and you can only voluntarily surrender your license for age or medical reasons. So if I can't do it myself, and the Dutch can't do it, then I should keep the entitlement. I don't believe the EU can stop anyone having a non-EU license as well as an EU license, so it should work out OK when we fall off that cliff.

Replacement license application, for the physical thing, on its way...