Any - Transiting goods through Switzerland - nick62

I may need to deliver some control equipment to Italy later this year, (i.e. before 31st Dec./the end of the Brexit "transition period") by road in my own van.

This being the case I will be driving via Switzerland and would appreciate the red-tape requirements needed to satisfy the Swiss customs please, (if anyone has prior knowledge of this procedure and would be kind enough to share)?

I have spoke to HMRC via "webchat", but all they can do is steer me to stuff that is being set-up for after 31st December when the end of the Brexit "transition period" will be upon us, (they really are a dead-loss when you need assistance).

There is nothing special about the goods other than they are relatively fragile and of reasonable value and difficult to pack, otherwise I would simply send them via TNT, etc.

Edited by nick62 on 18/08/2020 at 15:53

Any - Transiting goods through Switzerland - concrete

You don't have to drive through Switzerland to get to Italy. You can go through France. So while we are still part of the EU any regulations will still apply to you. On the practical side my friend and I often took various pieces of plant and equipment into France when we were renovating his house in the Minervois. Despite having van loads and trailers we were never stopped once or asked what the contents were or what they were for. At one time we had two vehicles, a mini digger, power tools and various bits of electrical control kit. He didn't like some of the French kit so took what he was comfortable with. No one batted an eye lid. It may well be the case nick that you just simply drive through without any hinderance at all. There don't seem to be any physical borders any longer where you used to be stopped any possibly searched.

Good luck Concrete.

Thanks for the feedback Concrete.

I know there is no problem if I avoid Switzerland as we are still OK under the terms of the Brexit transition period. I was just inquiring about any paperwork requirements to transit through Switzerland, like the 'old school' Carnet. Where you pay a guarantee that is not refunded until you prove the goods were not landed in Switzerland? As the Swiss customs will almost certainly take a peek into the back of any 3 ton van normally.

Any - Transiting goods through Switzerland - concrete

As the Swiss customs will almost certainly take a peek into the back of any 3 ton van normally.

Sorry nick. Maybe ORB can help, he used to work in Switzerland I believe. I have travelled through on holiday and find them very officious. Woe betide you if you step out of line, they do not show discretion and definitely do not have a sense of humour. Best avoided if you can, except if travelling by train which is excellent.

If you have the time you could make a break of it. Stay at a few Auberges in France or even the good value Campanile and Ibis hotels. See a bit of France you maybe have not discovered before rather than a mad dash there and back. My friend from the village went through France last week to Italy to complete some family legal business. He enjoyed the trip both ways and said the hotels are well organised for social distancing and serving food and drinks.

Cheers Concrete

Concrete, I was working in France myself last week, all good apart from the 37C heat early on in Normandy! But this trip was by air. Hotel was well organised and air conditioned fortunately. The local eateries / bars were packed though, particularly on the night Paris SG played in the Champions League.

If it comes-off I do think I'll just avoid Switzerland. Maybe go via France and back via Austria?

Edited by nick62 on 20/08/2020 at 10:50

Any - Transiting goods through Switzerland - Brit_in_Germany

Have you read through the Swiss web pages?

www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-companies...l