The problem with the M3 Jct2 - Sulphur Man

The M3 Jct 2 -4 a went through a 4-lane and smart upgrade in recent years, the project completing in June 2017.

I've been commuting it since Sep 2017. The increased capacity and smart features generally keep the traffic moving, usually around 60 mph upto J2 M25, with no restriction onwards to A316 Chertsey Rd.

However....

My experience of regularly driving northbound leads me to take the view that the design has introduced a serious collision blackspot - namely, the J2 northbound exit onto the M25 anti-clockwise, towards Gatwick.

This exit is served solely by Lane 3 - one in from the outside lane. J2 exit Lanes 1 & 2 are M25 clockwise only. Its a common occurrence for M25 anti-clockwise delays to result in slow traffic on Lane 3 of M3, bunching up far sooner than the other 3 lanes.

The smart signage does control speed limit to mitigate this, but it doesnt make clear that there is slow/stationary traffic in Lane 3 only.

Furthemore, drivers with less familiarity of the rather unnatural layour of J2 exit, who are trying to get onto the M25 anti-cw, don't get themselves into lane soon enough, or take Lane 2, realise their mistake, and dive late into L3.

Even furthermore, L3 is dual purpose - exit to M25 anti-cw AND through lane staying on M3. The more cautious driver intending to stay on the M3 can get bunched into exiting anti-cw M25 traffic, and then try to nip out into the often much faster L4, outside lane.

The lane signage for this lopsided exit jct begins at 2 miles out. Its as clear as it can be, but my personal belief is that many drivers unfamiliar with it either dont fully comprehend it, or are being misled by sat navs that arent up to date with the layout.

In summary, the M3 J2 northbound exit design makes L3 a 'concertina' lane, causing bad collisions. This month I've seen the aftermath of 3 collisions, one of which was a 6 vehicle nose-to-tail concertina, that I witnessed first hand. It was caused by traffic slowing suddenly in Lane 3, as cars joined late from Lane 2 to exit towards Gatwick. At least three of the vehicles looked write offs.

This morning was another 2 vehicle collision in the same spot.

The police must be escalating this. It can't go on.

The problem with the M3 Jct2 - Smileyman

Get the impression someone(s) failed with their traffic flow modelling and built a junction unable to cope with the traffic demand ... at the time of construction, not 20 - 30 years later.

What was the situation before the recent road works?

Did the planners forget that faced with a queue motorists will (human nature is to) go around and cut in later nearer the top?

Clearly, any road suffering so many crashes in a short space of time is not fit for purpose, are they going to wait for a tragic event before taking action? (Possibly punish everyone who uses that road with a lower speed limit, whilst telling it's only going to add a few moments to the overall journey time, a frequently repeated mantra that ends up adding lots of minutes to ever increasing travel times)

The problem with the M3 Jct2 - Sparrow

I hate this junction. It is counterintuitive to use lane 3 to go off left. As mentioned above, this lane gets tailbacks of traffic. This prompts a certain number of people, accideo or deliberately, to use lane 2 and then cut across, either to lane 3 at the last minute, or to go off the M3 and then switch suddenly from M25 north lane to M25 south lane, disobeying the signage and causing people to have to brake hard or swerve to miss them. Needs a rethink

The problem with the M3 Jct2 - daveyjp

Looking at streetview it looks perfectly fine to me. Plenty of signs, road markings which change to indicate increase in hazard as you get near the junction.

The motorways are full of people who can't read signs, are impatient and/or fail to plan in advance. When two of these meet and try and occupy the same piece of road the inevitable happens,

Be aware and get a dashcam front and rear! An idiot is better in front than behind, you can keep an eye on them.

Edited by daveyjp on 30/09/2019 at 21:06

Another crash this morning - lanes 3 (M25 anti-cw) and Lane 4 blocked. 8-mile tailback, 45mins delay.

Expect more before year end.

The problem with the M3 Jct2 - Bromptonaut

Agree with previous poster that said it's pretty clear from signage. The lane allocations are spelled out well over a mile before the junction. While I can sort of see that 'right lane to go left' is counter intuitive it's inevitable with a junction like this where most of traffic will leave M3. Traffic for anti clockwise M25 goes right later so placing them on that side of the set up early makes sense.

You could resolve that conflict nearer the M25 but that would just introduce a different and possibly worse collision risk.

I guess they could use the gantries on the M3 approaching the junction to try and warn if M25 delays affect lane 3 but people already complain about too much information.

The problem with the M3 Jct2 - gordonbennet
I guess they could use the gantries on the M3 approaching the junction to try and warn if M25 delays affect lane 3 but people already complain about too much information.

You can't read signs when you're at warp speed so close to the vehicle in front that the signage is merely a fleeting glimpse in the corner or top of your eye as you flashed past, they can't even see cameras (in their own interests to not trigger) what hope reading information.

The problem with the M3 Jct2 - Bromptonaut

You can't read signs when you're at warp speed so close to the vehicle in front that the signage is merely a fleeting glimpse in the corner or top of your eye as you flashed past, they can't even see cameras (in their own interests to not trigger) what hope reading information.

No argument with that. I'm just an eternal optimist!!

Another Crash at 0750 approximately today

Same place - Lane 3 exit onto M25 anti-cw

Same type of crash - concertina, 3 cars and one van. Not as heavy as the last one but lane blocked.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 11/11/2019 at 08:56