Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Nomag

SWMBO's Sorrento went to our local main dealer at the end of October for a service. I had a bad experience with the previous year's service at the main dealer closer to where I work, so decided to try the one local to home.

On picking the car up, they informed Mrs Nomag they had found an oil leak from the diff, and needed the car in for further investigation and to remedy, for two days. So the car was duly booked in and a courtesy car arranged.

After nearly two days with the dealer, they telephoned to say they had reported the leak to Kia, who had refused a warranty repair on the grounds that the leak was minor and that the cost of the part (new diff?) was £2500. The dealer said they had "sealed" it but clearly implied to my wife that they had little faith in their repair, that they had taken photographs and sent her away.

Once she fed back to me I was clearly most unhappy with the situation! Firstly disappointed the diff is leaking after two years. Secondly extremely disappointed in Kia's response, and the dealer's handling of this. I regard this as a potentially very dangerous situation, and we were left with no advise other than they would monitor it, presumably at the annual service another year hence!

I telephoned the dealer, explaining my concern and that I wanted a copy of all paperwork (none was given) so that I could take the case up with Kia myself if necessary. After four days, my phone call was not returned so I got on the phone again. This time the service manager did phone back after two hours, and spoke to my wife (as I was busy at work) and advised that he "would not be happy with the situation himself" and implied he had done us a favour by contacting Kia who had agreed to the work and that he woudl telephone the next day to arrange when this would be done. Two days on we're still waiting on the arrangements....

What riles me, not apart from the fact this is a 2.5 year old £30k+ motor, is that had I not pursued the issue, my wife would have been left to drive the vehicle for another year at pontentially great risk, and at the very least further significant damage to the diff as it gradually loses oil.

I strongly suspect what is required is a new seal of some sort, probably costing a few pounds, but likely the dealership have no mechanics with sufficient skill to rebuild the diff and so are requesting a whole new one, who knows?

I bought the Kia on the strength of the 7 year warranty, and also my very positive experiecnes with Hyundai, who carried out two warranty repair issues in year 3 and year 5 of my ownership of my IX35 without quibble.

Kia Sorento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Avant

You might like to let HJ know about this (letters@honestjohn.co.uk) once you have had the answer from Kia. It doesn't sound like a wear and tear item, but if you're right about the new seal rather than a whole new diff, then Kia have a case, and the dealer must put the car right as instructed by them.

We all hope that you won't be expected to pay £2,500: but if the worst happened, that would call into question one of the main reasons for choosing a Kia over the competition.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - RobJP

If Kia UK felt that the leak was 'minor' and did not affect the safe running of the car, then that is their decision. They said that they would monitor the car at the next service.

If the part later fails, or is worse at the next service, then you have the warranty, and it will be replaced.

To go all emotional language "potentially very dangerous situation", "potentially great risk", does your case no favours at all. If the diff failed, the car would break down and need to be recovered. It wouldn't spontaneously explode, or shower luckless pedestrians with shards of metal like shrapnel, causing a bloodbath.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - oldroverboy.

A weeping or misting oil seal is mosrly nothing major till it fails and dumps all the oil out of the diff.

Changing the input oil seal from the driveshaft if Four wheel drive is no big deal.

If on the half shafts no big deal either.

Casing fracture would be another thing, so find out exactly what the problem is, as I don't think you are being given all the information.

Let us Know....

Edited by oldroverboy. on 24/11/2017 at 12:05

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Gibbo_Wirral

My OH has a 2011 Ceed 1.6 diesel.

Last month the clutch was slipping, no big deal as it was probably reaching end of life.

When she took it to the Kia dealer they found a small oil leak and blamed that for dripping onto the clutch and causing damage.

Oil leak fixed, new clutch and DMF all under warranty.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - argybargy

I sympathise on one level because I had a bit of an extended nightmare with differential seals.

Having had a clutch fitted to my Focus by a retired mechanic who works from home, the diff/ shaft seals started leaking. I informed him of this and his response was to assure me that the stuff on my driveway was excess grease. Only much later did I begin to suspect that he'd applied this grease to keep gearbox oil from two leaking seals at bay, having refitted the old seals and damaged the seating of one of them, presumably when he levered it out of the housing with an old screwdriver or some other equally crude instrument.

. I never managed to get those seals oiltight ever again, despite having a succession of replacements fitted at different garages along with, at one point, a new offside driveshaft, after one mechanic informed me that the old one looked "quite rusty" and might be preventing a good seal to the diff. The frustration of this seemingly interminable saga was one of the factors that eventually persuaded me to sell what was a good car.

Mind you, at least I didn't have the added frustration of trying to get a dealer to honour a warranty which is sold as being so good, and so, sooo long, that you should never have to worry about your car ever again.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - CK91437

Last month the clutch was slipping, no big deal as it was probably reaching end of life.

When she took it to the Kia dealer they found a small oil leak and blamed that for dripping onto the clutch and causing damage.

was the kia dealer ......Santa Claus Kia........:)

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - galileo

What is the matter with you? Trawl this forum for all the VAG brush-offs people have had, it should take your mind off your obsession with Kia. Or, as suggested earlier, watch a few of John Cadogan's YouTube videos on which are the most reliable makes.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - oldroverboy.

I am beginning to wonder if Kia dealers are becoming "victims of the manufacturers success"?

Our local dealer has 5 franchises on 3 sites, all in view of one another. 3 years ago, my car was incorrectly serviced, in fact when it was the master techie writing the wrong information on the report, but after they re-did the service, i let it go.

The last 2 services on the venga were done correctly and a weeping/misting shock absorber changed under warranty. However, the Service manager has departed to another dealer closer to where he lives, and the best techie now has a diploma that has enabled him to get a job with a manufacturer.

My old friends who have a venga that i he;ped them to get earlier this year lost a key. Lots of confusion in getting a new one and them an aborted visit to get it coded, (HOW on this earth can someone with the correct equipment not be able to code a key?)

Finally done after a month.

? Trawl this forum for all the VAG brush-offs people have had,

I wouldn't buy anything from the VW group (eg audi, skoda, seat, etc) as i want an automatic, and their auto-gearbox offering is not reliable.

The german cars of old were buller-proof, but now they have been de-engineered to fail once outside the warranty period.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - madf

? Trawl this forum for all the VAG brush-offs people have had,

I wouldn't buy anything from the VW group (eg audi, skoda, seat, etc) as i want an automatic, and their auto-gearbox offering is not reliable.

The german cars of old were buller-proof, but now they have been de-engineered to fail once outside the warranty period.

Once again the troll strikes..

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Graham567

I tend to agree with him....

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - daveyK_UK

I agree with him as well

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - KB.

"The german cars of old were buller-proof, but now they have been de-engineered to fail once outside the warranty period."

How is it then, that my six and a half year old Skoda hasn't exploded? ... it's well out of warranty and so, according to this view, it should have done so by now!!

Could it be the individual making the assertion is speaking via his derriere?

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - madf

"The german cars of old were buller-proof, but now they have been de-engineered to fail once outside the warranty period."

How is it then, that my six and a half year old Skoda hasn't exploded? ... it's well out of warranty and so, according to this view, it should have done so by now!!

Could it be the individual making the assertion is speaking via his derriere?

He is. The German cars of old were not bullet proof.. I drove a Mercedes 260E as a company car from new from 1988-1990. Key barrel failed in steering column making car undriveable. Suspension bush collapsed making car undriveable Exhaust lasted two years.. Not impressed..

Having given the matter a little thought I recall that the gear lever on my 1983 Golf came off in my hand whilst sitting at traffic lights. It was bought new and only a few weeks old at the time. It went on to be something of a lemon and was back at the dealers on a regular basis. However I bought another new Golf after that in 1984 and it was absolutely fine ... similarly my current 2011 Skoda, also bought new, is fine (after having the clutch pack changed WITHIN warranty.

All of which tends to disprove the theory espoused by the venerable contributor.

As an update - parts have been ordered, awaiting their arrival before booking car in. Quite what they have ordered I am unsure- but will make sure I find out before fitting.

I'm not actually sure who's at fault here- dealer brush off or Kia UK.

Will update once works complete!

Having given the matter a little thought I recall that the gear lever on my 1983 Golf came off in my hand whilst sitting at traffic lights. It was bought new and only a few weeks old at the time. It went on to be something of a lemon and was back at the dealers on a regular basis. However I bought another new Golf after that in 1984 and it was absolutely fine ... similarly my current 2011 Skoda, also bought new, is fine (after having the clutch pack changed WITHIN warranty.

All of which tends to disprove the theory espoused by the venerable contributor.

We've only ever had one VW: a custard (or maybe canary) yellow 1981 Golf which, although admittedly a fairly bog standard car, was as reliable a motor as we've ever owned. Easy to work on too, although I did try to replace the brake shoes, failed miserably to put all the springs and stuff back correctly and had to call for help.

That Golf was also as tough as old boots.

My missus drove us both in the "custard canary" to her brother's house in Warrington, a journey of about 40 miles, being the furthest she has ever driven a car before or since. On arrival she couldn't decide whether to park on the road or on his drive, and after a brief argument about it she chose the latter, but did so a little too late to make the turn and rammed straight into a brick gatepost.

The gatepost collapsed, but the car was virtually unmarked.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Engineer Andy

I agree with him as well

The difference is he is stating the bl**din' onbvious! Not exactly difficult for him to trawl these pages and regurgitate other members' posts and pass them off as 'expert' or 'well-informed advice'. Please remember that his first ever post here was to say (other than trashing Kia, as I recall) that he didn't know much about cars. Amazing what expertise you can pick up in a couple of months...

Work carried out today. They replaced the entire diff. The required gasket was apparently not available as a separate part! I find that incredulous but at least it was not at my cost. I would stand by the fact that the repair should have been arranged in the first place without my need to intervene....I don't feel it is acceptable to "watch and wait" with a leaking diff on a two year old car. Clearly one might feel differently on an older vehicle out of warranty.

Work carried out today. They replaced the entire diff. The required gasket was apparently not available as a separate part! I find that incredulous but at least it was not at my cost. I would stand by the fact that the repair should have been arranged in the first place without my need to intervene....I don't feel it is acceptable to "watch and wait" with a leaking diff on a two year old car. Clearly one might feel differently on an older vehicle out of warranty.

Nice to see it is sorted out.

You are right, it should have been sorted out immediately.

There have been cases of diff's failing in a dramatic way.

Perhaps you should name the dealer that made you go through this.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - badbusdriver

Perhaps you should read the 'naming and shaming' policy of the forum before encouraging others to do this. Mind you, stirring things up does see to be your main objective.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Engineer Andy

Perhaps you should read the 'naming and shaming' policy of the forum before encouraging others to do this. Mind you, stirring things up does see to be your main objective.

Quite right. This self-styled (despite professing on their original post on this site to know 'very little' about cars and the motor industry) 'voice of reason' (yes, CK91437, its YOU) is, in my view at least, getting near the edge of everyone's tolerance of his obvious ire and unreasonable vendetta against KIA.

IMO if he has a beef against them for some car he's owned, then he should say so, otherwise keep his 'opinion' to himself or leave. Constant sniping from the sidelines, for whatever reason, does him no credit at all, especially if an individual personal situation (even if true [whatever it is]) is dressed up as a fact about all KIAs and their dealerships.

I have no intention of naming and shaming anybody. Merely wishing to share my experiences.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - Avant

Thank you, Nomag. Very glad it's turned out well at no cost to you, although the hassle you've had reflects badly on the dealer, and also the stupid policy withim Kia, which has cost them money, not to make a small part available separately.

CK, please note what Nomag has done here. Without naming and shaming the dealer (which could potentially have led to legal action against us), he has drawn the saga to our attention to warn others what to look out for. This sort of shared experience can be very helpful.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - badbusdriver

Unlike CK's usual input to topics!

But the silent majority want to know who the good dealers are and who the bad dealers are.

Reading other forums, it doesn't seem to be an issue on other forums.

Kia Sorrento - Kia warranty service/dealership experience - RT

But the silent majority want to know who the good dealers are and who the bad dealers are.

The good dealers are inconsistent so even those reports need to be taken carefully - it's up to each individual forum owner whether to allow name & shame references, the Back Room is a free forum so we have to accept their rules.

In reality, every dealer/workshop has bad days and makes mistakes, no exceptions - it's how they deal with those mistakes that makes the difference, and that's often down to the customers' attitude.

Then take your pointless, banal and juvenile piffle to the forums you approve of then ... I have yet to see you make a contribution of any value whatsoever - an utter waste of bandwidth.

Edited by KB. on 15/12/2017 at 16:57

In defence of CK ( and Lord Knows that won't make me popular), naming and shaming does go on within other forums, though of course the policy here is absolutely clear.

The problem is that almost without exception, gripes within motoring forums tend to provide only one side of every story, and without right of reply its unfair to refer by name to any dealer, garage or other trader in a negative light.

Even leaving aside the litigation side of things, the financial consequences of being shamed on a widely read forum like this one could be catastrophic, meaning lost jobs and livelihoods. All, perhaps, on the say so of one person.

Oddly enough, I seem not to find it my heart to extend empathy in this particular individual's direction. The name and shame guidelines have been discussed and reiterated to the n'th degree over the course of the entire fifteen years I've been a part of this community and they remain as clear as a very clear thing.

If the illustrious contributor in question isn't happy with them then there's good news afoot ... I just heard that the Blue Peter forum is recruiting. They require input from suitably qualified persons with a proven track record of providing a source of inane kockwomblery on a regular bassis. He's the man!

It'll be sad to see him go ... but the assembled brethren will take it in their collective stride and wish him well with a cheery wave.

Folks here clearly believe that the individual in question is what they call a troll.

They believe he posts to provoke a reaction rather than because he actually believes what he's saying.

I don't know whether that's the case here or not, but someone once gave me very good advice when I found myself spending disproportionate amounts of time arguing with a similarly mischievous individual. "Don't feed the troll".

Ignore. It works, believe me.

Edited by argybargy on 16/12/2017 at 11:14