2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec petrol - 2005 Ford Fiesta: stuck fuel filler cap - dgor

Hi all,

Tried to fill up with petrol today and at the garage I couldn't get the fuel cap unlocked. It's the sort where you have to put the car key in to unlock the external filler cap and then there is an internal cap which screws off. It's the locking mechanism of the external cap which appears jammed. Not wanting to snap my car key I just gave it up.

Does anyone have any experience of this or suggestions? Is there an alternative release for the fuel cap anywhere? Is it just a case of spraying some WD40 inside and hoping for the best or is there a definitive fix?

Cheers

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec petrol - 2005 Ford Fiesta: stuck fuel filler cap - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like the lock has failed/seized.There is no alternative release for this,but it fairly easy to bend the flap door with suitable tools to open it,as it is made of plastic.

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec petrol - 2005 Ford Fiesta: stuck fuel filler cap - Mr.G

I am assuming its not the flap thats locked, so bending that would be off no help?!.. like u say yup .. WD40 could work, gently teasing key back and forth carefully so not to bend or break key.. another product that would be better is a freezing spray .. wurth do ROST OFF or loctite freeze and release

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec petrol - 2005 Ford Fiesta: stuck fuel filler cap - Trung

I'm having issues too. Anyone can resolve this problem.... Ford Fiesta

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec petrol - 2005 Ford Fiesta: stuck fuel filler cap - Michael Bryant
Hi All!! I know it’s a bit late now probably to comment on this...

I have just had the same problem least night with my Ford Fiesta when trying to unlock the external filler cap to get some petrol. I wasn’t so careful when trying to get it open...

I had a spare key with me so didn’t care if I broke the key, but I found that I didn’t break the key! Instead, I forced the key and tried turning it with the help of some WD40 and it wouldn’t go, so I tried the old fashioned method of just hitting the petrol cap and that didn’t work either haha! After continuing to fight and turn the key and getting nowhere, it suddenly turned with some force against it, but all I ended up doing was breaking the inside of the mechanism and it ended up being like when you turn a screw but the thread is broken... I resorted to getting a screwdriver and putting it down the side of the petrol cap where the locking mechanism is that releases the cap when you turn the key. This allowed me to prize open the flap and get to my petrol cap.

Only trouble with that was that the lever was left in the locked position and so then I couldn’t shut the cap back up! By this point I was not in the mood so slammed it shut and that was when the plastic lever snapped off, leaving me with a flapping petrol cap!! (Ugh!)

I know it’s not much help but it was the only way I found I could do it, even though I broke the mechanism but then again it was all seized up anyway so would have had to buy a new one! I think it’s just one of those wear and tear things really! Don’t think it’s an expensive fix either if you look on eBay or something.

Hope this helps some of you!