damaged car at garage , Sorn left on road by them - isodora

Hi,

My car was involved in an accident and was left at the garage, it was taxed and insured, i subsequently purchased another car and transfered the insurance. the DVLA sent a refun because the car was not insured, so i did a SORN,

The garage have repaired the car but have left it on the road side whilst moving vehicles around, the car was puicked up and then retrieved by the garage and the fine paid.

I now have a Magistraits court summons for leaving a car on the road.

Do i have any defence?

Also the garage were going to sell the vehicle for me as i no longer needed it

damaged car at garage , Sorn left on road by them - RobJP

Technically, you still own the car (you have not sold it to the gararge, just asked them to sell it for you).

As such, it is entirely your responsibility to ensure the car is insured and taxed - the garage would not, for example, be able to allow anyone to test-drive the car unless it was either on their books (and thus drivable on their trade plates), or was taxed.

Go to court, apologise for the mistake, and hope to be let off lightly.

In the meantime, get it taxed, insured - and then get it sold. Chuck it on ebay, starting at 99p with no reserve. But stop messing about with it.

damaged car at garage , Sorn left on road by them - pd

Would agree with that. Really, unless you told the garage it wasn't taxed it would be unfair to blame them for it.

You can drive any car you want on trade plates btw as long as it is for legitimate reasons - doesn't have to be owned by you or on your books. You can't pop to Tescos in it though. :)