Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - oldroverboy.

In the past few days have noticed more of the above.

1. Waiting in a line of traffic for car directly in front of me to turn right. 1st car behind me undertakes to get in front of him. 2nd car behind me then undertakes to get 1 car ahead on a keep clear just before traffic lights. ????

2. Went to get fuel at a large supermarket and on the main road entrance there is a painted mini-roundabout, as I was turning, indicating a yoof overtook me and then when he realised he was going to hit me tooted (a lot) and then turned into the petrol station and proceeded to nonchalantly fuel up.

Both potential accidents.

Kept my cool and ignored both times.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - gordonbennet

Rats in a cage too small for them, disillisioned and disenfranchised rising overpopulation in a country (especially the South East and some other cities) too small to support such numbers, end up snapping at each.

Lack of space and room to breathe isn't how humans are meant to live, the results, for most normalish people, won't be the utopian dream they try to sell us.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - Bolt

I`m afraid we get that all the time around my neck of town Bromley, especialy drivers that get in wrong lane on roundabouts, cut you up and hoot you for being in the right

Gotten used to it round here and Cyclists are now the most annoying,very annoying

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - Wackyracer
Asda's? I really notice the driving 'style'(for want of a better word) is far more aggressive around Colchester than it is around south London.
Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - Wolfan

When roundabouts were introduced their purpose was to aid trafic flow at junctions. The problem nowadays is that few drivers have the slightest idea what to do when they encounter them, most stop then look to see if there is any trafic likely to arrive from their right rather than using their judgement to see if it's safe to proceed as they approach thus clogging up the road. Todays drivers seem unable to differenciate between stop and give way instructions and this is the cause of many a queue. I am not surprised that somebody has raised this matter here, the blame must either lay with the current crop of driving instructors or the caliber of examiners employed by the D.O.T.

I am reminded of the driver who has been driving for years and has never had an accident but has seen hundreds in their rear view mirror.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - focussed

When roundabouts were introduced their purpose was to aid trafic flow at junctions. The problem nowadays is that few drivers have the slightest idea what to do when they encounter them, most stop then look to see if there is any trafic likely to arrive from their right rather than using their judgement to see if it's safe to proceed as they approach thus clogging up the road. Todays drivers seem unable to differenciate between stop and give way instructions and this is the cause of many a queue. I am not surprised that somebody has raised this matter here, the blame must either lay with the current crop of driving instructors or the caliber of examiners employed by the D.O.T.

I am reminded of the driver who has been driving for years and has never had an accident but has seen hundreds in their rear view mirror.

As an ex-instructor I doubt that instructors are to blame, if you were to neglect to teach your pupils how to approach and deal with roundabouts safely and to the book you wouldn't get many passes, DVSA examiners are also looking for evidence on test that the pupil can deal with roundabouts in a safe and proper manner, but even a good, well prepared learner can fail on a test due to the erratic, aggressive and dangerous behaviour of other drivers who should know better.

None of my pupils were allowed anyway near their driving test if they couldn't do roundabouts safely and confidently without prompting or coaching.

A good instructional video here ilustrating the 12 o'clock rule.

www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/news-and-safety-tips/-high...s

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - Ethan Edwards

I agree Colchester's driving is utterly substandard. Near the Octagon everyone gets into the left lane to go round to the right and up Balkern Hill. Nowhere else have I seen people intentionally go left to turn right even when the right lane is empty. Weird. They indicate as if they are coming off the roundabout and sail on past the turning merrily indicating all the time. Or don't indicate at all. Seriously you need to use Jedi mind powers to drive round colchester these days.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - galileo

Here the bus lanes are only operational for a couple of hours at peak times, Monday to Friday, as is clearly shown on large blue notices every 100 yards or so.

In spite of this, not one in twenty cars uses bus lanes when they are free to do so.

Are the drivers illiterate or just stupid? One or two wll move left and follow me as I use the bus lane, beats me why they need an example.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - gordonbennet

What, read signs and engage brain all at once, you're asking a bit much there Galileo steady on there's a fellow.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - Bilboman

This sounds just like Spain, where the hopelessly antiquated and contradictory traffic"rules" - such as they are - mean that many drivers scoot round the outside of a roundabout, even when turning round 180 degrees to go back! There is one very rigid rule that the "outside" (in the UK - left) lane always has priority, and a lot of drivers rely on this to block and baulk other drivers, knowing that they'd always "win" any accident claim. An inept civil servant/minister/judge - no doubt a non-driver - many years ago decreed that a roundabout is merely a circular-shaped continuation of the existing carriageway, rather than a junction where different rules should apply.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - catsdad
The bus lane thing is interesting. One of the issues if you are a stranger is reading the list of times and days and then checking as you proceed that these don't change as you go along. No excuse for locals though. Maybe there is a tendency to get baulked when they have gaps? Was behind someone recently who was ignoring the available bus lane, doing 25 mph in a 30 - a very good road that until recently had been a 40. After half a mile I moved slowly across to the bus lane and passed him relying on the lanes of moving traffic principle. The queue that had built up then all did the same. Maybe on another forum the blocker is complaining about undertaking!
Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - scot22

Thanks focussed that's a useful link to keep up to date and revise - now on my favourites.

Drivers on miniroundabouts - Undertaking and overtaking on junctions - focussed

Thanks focussed that's a useful link to keep up to date and revise - now on my favourites.

I'm glad somebody noticed it!