Trading Down? - Dingle232
Due to a change of circumstances I may have to consider seling my 3 series and am not sure of the best way to do it. In terms of what I need going forward it's something that meets:

Long term ownership/reliability.
Family saloon/Hatch size
Relatively cheap to run.
Auto Diesel.

My 3 series is a 64 plate and is (at least on webuyany...com) around £19.5k and I am looking at cars around the 12 - 14/15 mark. So far I have found:

Avensis 2.2 DCAT on an 13 plate w/30k miles.
Avensis T Spirit on a 10 plate with 24k miles (bit old but does look very nice and Toyota SH)
Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Zetec 63 30k miles
Auris 1.4 D4D 14 plate with 10 miles (may be a bit small, not sure)
Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium 14 plate with 25k miles

I am swayed towards the Avensis even though it's as dull as dishwater but having previously had one I know they tend to be mega relaiable. I have considered an Octavia but am dissuaded by some of the W and DSG reliability issues. Would the 10 plate Avensis be a risk?

Any others to consider?

The main question however is how to trade down. Is a private sale/webuy.com the best way and then haggle with cash or do dealers actually take cars pf higher value and give you whatever their estimate of the difference? I have n prior experience of doing this at all so suspect that latter may be the least favourable option.

Thanks very much.
Trading Down? - RT

AFAIK a dealer will take any value car in p/x but only give you it's trade value so they can make a profit on selling that as well as the car you want to buy - even if they put it straight out to auction they'll want to give you less than they expect to get.

The WBAC and Evans Halshaw prices are marginally better than p/x values but more likely to be reduced on inspection.

Selling privately and coping with likely difference in timing is the best way from a purely financial viewpoint but p/x will be more convenient.

Thanks I suspected that to be the case. In terms of selling privately I was looking at either Auto Trader an/or eBay motors so willo give them a shot.

In terms of the cars I am looking at any views on best buy and comments on the older Avensis risk?

Thank you again.
Trading Down? - madf

If buying from a Toyota dealer you should get at least a year's warranty with the car. (Toyota's warranties are very good from my experience - but only one claim in 13 years of ownership of Yaris).

I would ask about Toyota extended warranty and try to get a price reduction as part of the buying haggle..

Yes it's definitely through a main dealer and looks to have been well looked after with full Toyota history. If I decide to sell the BMW privately then there's definitely some haggling to be done for a cash only purchase and, yes, the dealer 12 month warranty will come with it.

The only thing I am nervous about is whether it's been a cab - is there any way you can find out?

It will make me sad losing the BMW but I'm consoling myself in that it's just a car and all they do is lose you money. I have owned a number of Toyotas in the past and they have always been 100% reliable, easy to maintain and very comfortable if just a little dull. There is more than coincidence in that I know a number of people who keep their cars for a very long time (10 yrs+) and nearly all of them are Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans with a few Mercs. Very few seem to be VW or BMW - they must know something I am just finding out. :-).
Trading Down? - RT

Cash doesn't carry much clout these days - because dealers make extra money on credit deals anyway - what does carry clout is your negotiating skills, I'm only average but most people roll over far too quickly. Don't be afraid to make a silly low offer because if you pitch too high the dealer will still try to talk the price up - remember that silence is your ally, not the dealer's.

I am pretty good at that. My other 'friend' is having some options - the market is awash with Avensis's and at the end of a month they want deals and cash in the bank. I can play brinksmanship :-).
Trading Down? - Andrew-T

I've only once ventured into 5 figures when buying, but I would feel selling a car of that value privately would be potentially dodgy. You would have to ensure cast-iron funds transfer to avoid being taken for a ride.

In theory a dealer would be prepared to give you a car plus money in exchange for yours, but it could feel a bit odd, and I would not be surprised to find the margin being stretched a bit. I have exchanged cars with a dealer at par (as it were) but not with cashback.

I've only once ventured into 5 figures when buying, but I would feel selling a car of that value privately would be potentially dodgy. You would have to ensure cast-iron funds transfer to avoid being taken for a ride.

In theory a dealer would be prepared to give you a car plus money in exchange for yours, but it could feel a bit odd, and I would not be surprised to find the margin being stretched a bit. I have exchanged cars with a dealer at par (as it were) but not with cashback.

Yes I wholly agree and if it were a private sale then it would beank transfer or nothing. Having not done it before at this price point I am literally not sure how successful I would be in Auto Trader or eBay? Do people actually buy cars privately for that kind of money? Similarly - if I sell it to webuyanycar.com are they legitimate in terms of paying you? My understanding is that you give them your car the same day and get the cash direct to bank 14 ays later? Still my other question relates to the 10 plate Avensis with 30k from a main agent. Sorry to bang on about it but would this be considered a risk at £11k and how can you rule out the taxi history? Thanks so far - much appreciated.
Trading Down? - madf

Taxi history? Look at log book. If it's a human owner as opposed to a company, take name and address and phone up and ask.. If a company, a quick search will find out what they do.

Also check: wear in rear carpets/seats. Normally there should be minimal wear. Also rear seat belts should be clean and unused.. Check under boot carpet for stains..

Ask the dealer.. and say that you will only buy it if they confirm in writing..They should do a HPI check as part of their pre sales check. Ask to see it.

Taxi history? Look at log book. If it's a human owner as opposed to a company, take name and address and phone up and ask.. If a company, a quick search will find out what they do.

Also check: wear in rear carpets/seats. Normally there should be minimal wear. Also rear seat belts should be clean and unused.. Check under boot carpet for stains..

Ask the dealer.. and say that you will only buy it if they confirm in writing..They should do a HPI check as part of their pre sales check. Ask to see it.

Thank you - all good advice that I'll certainly be taking.
Trading Down? - skidpan

Still my other question relates to the 10 plate Avensis with 30k from a main agent. Sorry to bang on about it but would this be considered a risk at £11k

11k is way too much for a 10 plate Avensis even with 30,000 miles on the clock. Even at a Toyota dealer I would expect to pay no more than £8000, less if you bargain hard.

Edited by skidpan on 17/09/2015 at 17:42

Trading Down? - gordonbennet

Few private buyers of that type of car would be up for sticking getting on for £20k in your mitt, they will be as worried about potential problems as are you.

If your car is really well maintained and an absolute gem of a car though, i'd still stick a classified ad with plenty of pics on ebay, and i say ebay because there is room on the ad for as many words as you can muster and as many pics as you want to show.

I had a similar situation when we decided to sell the Hilux at 3.5 years old, it was an exceptional vehicle condition and maintenance wise, and i wanted £15k for it, so advertised it at £16k.

Had the usual no hopers offering the sort of money an ex site vehicle might be worth which i batted off but then got a text out of the blue offering £14k, said no but i'd accept £15k, deal done...his ebay feedback for car purchases was rock solid, told me he does this quite often when he spots the right advert/vehicle (my feedback is also all good)

Course i never expected this to complete, but we spoke on the phone and i advise this because after about 10 minutes we'd both sussed each other out as someone who could be trusted, sounds odd but its true.

He was a trader in fairly unusual high condtion one owner cars and 4x4's from Harrogate way, he paid me by bank transfer sight unseen and sent one of his chaps down on the train to collect it, and that was it, we spoke on the phone later and exchange pleasantries, he was delighted by the vehicle.

In summary, don't stint on writing the advert, your personality is in that ad and you never know who's looking.

Few private buyers of that type of car would be up for sticking getting on for £20k in your mitt, they will be as worried about potential problems as are you.

If your car is really well maintained and an absolute gem of a car though, i'd still stick a classified ad with plenty of pics on ebay, and i say ebay because there is room on the ad for as many words as you can muster and as many pics as you want to show.

I had a similar situation when we decided to sell the Hilux at 3.5 years old, it was an exceptional vehicle condition and maintenance wise, and i wanted £15k for it, so advertised it at £16k.

Had the usual no hopers offering the sort of money an ex site vehicle might be worth which i batted off but then got a text out of the blue offering £14k, said no but i'd accept £15k, deal done...his ebay feedback for car purchases was rock solid, told me he does this quite often when he spots the right advert/vehicle (my feedback is also all good)

Course i never expected this to complete, but we spoke on the phone and i advise this because after about 10 minutes we'd both sussed each other out as someone who could be trusted, sounds odd but its true.

He was a trader in fairly unusual high condtion one owner cars and 4x4's from Harrogate way, he paid me by bank transfer sight unseen and sent one of his chaps down on the train to collect it, and that was it, we spoke on the phone later and exchange pleasantries, he was delighted by the vehicle.

In summary, don't stint on writing the advert, your personality is in that ad and you never know who's looking.

Thanks that's helpful. I have a rock solid eBay account and the car is an absolute minter with a prepaid service pack til 2019.

Edited by Dingle232 on 17/09/2015 at 19:52

Still my other question relates to the 10 plate Avensis with 30k from a main agent. Sorry to bang on about it but would this be considered a risk at £11k

11k is way too much for a 10 plate Avensis even with 30,000 miles on the clock. Even at a Toyota dealer I would expect to pay no more than £8000, less if you bargain hard.

Disagree. For a T Spirit that seems to be the price point.
Trading Down? - Andrew-T

Have you considered selling to a BMW dealer? In a well-heeled neighbourhood, of course :-)

Have you considered selling to a BMW dealer? In a well-heeled neighbourhood, of course :-)

Serious question as I honestly haven't sold a car of this value before - would a BMW dealership buy it?
Trading Down? - Andrew-T

Serious question as I honestly haven't sold a car of this value before - would a BMW dealership buy it?

The car is 'almost new' and if it's as good as you say, it will depend on whether they see a profit in it. I think one might, and it could save you some hassle and worry. No harm in asking ....

Trading Down? - daveyK_UK

try the car buying service

try the car buying service

Great advice and they offered me pretty much what I paid for the car so I am looking to conclude that deal this week.

I have also narrowed down what I will replace it with to two cars:

1 - 12 plate Avensis 2.0 D-4D w/22k miles. Nice spec and a one owner car with full Toyota history. Manual.

2 - Focus 2.0 TDCi Powershift, again a 12 plate with similar mileage and again one owner with full Ford history.

If I could combine the two I would have the perfect car for me. The spec on the Toyota is fantastic but it's manual and dull as dishwater. The Focus is auto which I prefer (but know nothing of the Ford P/Shift boxes) and is also much better to drive but I recall somewhere that the 2.0 TDCi engine may be problematic?

Either car will be predominantly used for motorway trips to holiday home, carrying luggage and stuff 8 months of the year so weekly runs of 2 x 90 miles plus the usual mileage day to day inbetween. Annual mileage is around 17 - 18k.

Any advice as to what to look for/avoid/which would be the better buy. Aiming for 5 year ownership.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Avensis, electric parking brake rules it out for me, but apart from that its a larger car altogether roomy and comfortable, better warranty into the bargain plus Toyota have customer service actually worthy of the title should something serious go wrong out of warranty.

Focus, i drove one of our company Focus Diesels of this model last week but with manual box, yet another modern Ford which underwhelmed, cramped interior, acres of black plastic dash, powerful puller indeed but overall another disappointment as yet again i expected something more than this from the hype...but worse of all were the low windows with long sloped A pillar causing not only blind spots but a sense of being closed in...wouldn't give you a thankyou for one...only my humble opinion mind.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/09/2015 at 00:07

Avensis, electric parking brake rules it out for me, but apart from that its a larger car altogether roomy and comfortable, better warranty into the bargain plus Toyota have customer service actually worthy of the title should something serious go wrong out of warranty.

That is a concern of mine if honest but I am struggling to find another car as well spec'd as this one (the original 10 plate wasn't for me - auto box that I hated so looks like a manual it will have to be) is a 12 plate with literally everything you could want. The dealer is not boving at the price and has stated that he'll see me walk away before knocking a penny off. So it's 12k for a 12 plate Avensis or 11k for a 12 Focus (Auto).

Parking brake aside I'm swayed towards the Toyota for the warranty and reliability and toys and Ford for the price and auto.

I'll sleep on it.

Trading Down? - Andrew-T

<< The dealer is not moving at the price and has stated that he'll see me walk away before knocking a penny off. >>

So you'll have to find out whether you can find another at a less inflexible dealer? I don't know of any dealer who puts a price on a car and won't respond to a serious offer with no p/x.

Trading Down? - 72 dudes

They would definitely consider an almost new one. In fact, get on the BMW Used Approved website and cost out similar models with a similar spec and mileage to yours to get the BMW selling price. Then knock off a couple of grand - that's their profit - and I bet you are left with more than the £19.5k WBAC offered.

Agree re the dealer they have been pretty rigid and simply won't budge from their price point on the basis that the car is due a service, needs alloys refurbing etc so their view is that this work has eaten up any discount they are able to offer. I haven't called them back and will see whether they cave in.

The issue I have is that I can't find a similar spec's car anywhere at all and have spent 3 days searching pretty much everywhere on the web. I am reluctant to buy on the basis of their unwillingness to negotiate but I also do want the car as it would be ideal for us.

There's just a confidence in Toyota's reliability that may make it worth while.

If anyone has a view on the relative reliability of the Focus 2.0 TDCi Powershift, or alternatively an Astra 2.0 CDTi I would really appreciate it. Are these both decent, reliable vehicles?

Both would be main agent purchases with Full dealer service history.

Thanks again.

I think you've answered your own question with the sentence ''There's just a confidence in Toyota's reliability that may make it worth while.''

Its not just customer confidence, its the confidence the maker puts in their product by standing by them longer than the others, and the many accounts from Toyota owners, who having had problems often long after warranty has expired, had their previously (properly serviced) cars fixed under goodwill.

I wonder if the shortage of suitable used Avensis is partly caused by owners keeping them longer due to the better warranties, plus very few on rental fleets compared to the thousands of the other two you are interested in.

Have you checked Motorpoint and the like to see if a pre rgd Avensis (if there are such things) could be an option for you.

Trading Down? - Paul Robinson

If you want a Toyota but will consider a Focus, have you looked at the Toyota Auris Hybrid - similar size to the Focus, a bit bigger inside in fact and will be the automatic you're aiming for?

Thanks both.

Gordon - I think you are right but am just a bit irked that they won't budge at all - must be my age and stubbornness :-). I have looked at a lot of cars this week and am at that point where you look at so many you start to confuse yourself so it's time to decide. I have set an absolute budget of £12k and the Avensis is just under that price point and, to be fair, it does seem reasonably priced for a 12 plate T Spirit. It's just the little stuff like they won't put mats in it etc that's bugging me but I may have to let that go. That's the reason I haven't looked at pre-reg etc as this is going to be a car that I just run and run with a reasonably minimal initial outlay.

I have spotted a saloon with 34k on the clock and on an 11 plate for 11k but not from a main agent which I always try to avoid despite the premia applied. That looks ok also so I may take a look at it.

I have owned 3 Toyotas before including an Avensis as a company car and each and every one of tjem has been utterly faultless. In addition, as you mention, dealer service being exemplary. I guess I am just being a tight wad :-). The other issue is that, coming out of a 3 series, the Avensis is going to be like driving porridge. Ho hum.

Trading Down? - skidpan

Personally I have yet to see any evidence that Toyota are any different to other manufacturers with regards to customer service. We looked at the Auris a few years ago. Tried 2 dealers and both simply could not be bothered to try and offer a test drive in a car similar to that we wanted to buy which at the time was a diesel.

A couple of years later the wife was due for a change and the Avensis diesel Tourer looked to tick all the boxes. Tried 2 dealers (one from the previous attempt plus a different one) and had the same incredibly poor experience at both. We did eventually get a test drive which was only 2 miles each way and a petrol plus we were not allowed to ride in the front, salesman said it was illegal. Complained to senior salesman who offered nothing more than than a shrug of the shoulders.

Our thought was simply if its that bad before they get your money what would it be like once they have it. Ford, Kia, Nissan to name 3 have been way better.

As for reliabilty we have had a couple of Toyotas at work. The Auris Tourer has been fine but the Avenis Tourer was troublesome and the dealer never offered fixes for many of the faults. The user has had 2 Fords since with no issues. Never wants a Toyota again.

I would suggest you look at a Mondeo estate. Loads out there at low prices. Very reliable and good to drive, as good as the BMW in truth.

I have owned 3 Toyotas before including an Avensis as a company car and each and every one of tjem has been utterly faultless. In addition, as you mention, dealer service being exemplary. I guess I am just being a tight wad :-). The other issue is that, coming out of a 3 series, the Avensis is going to be like driving porridge. Ho hum.

Not necessarily just the car there though you are coming from a much faster car entirely, put the probably sensibly sized Avensis tyre/wheel combination on that 3 series and it would probably feel a bit wooly too.

If you wanted to sharpen Avensis up a bit i have no doubt retro fitting the other way would work just as well, might improve it if you search out the same size tyre but more suited to grip when the time comes to replace, its probably currently shod with some eco rubber of some sort, not exactly a sporting type.

Trading Down? - Andrew-T

It's just the little stuff like they won't put mats in it etc that's bugging me but I may have to let that go.

I agree that any dealer so tight that he won't throw in a few cheap goodies to get your signature doesn't deserve your custom. Maybe he has sussed that you are too eager - and maybe if the car hasn't sold in a couple of weeks he may change his mind.

You have to convince him that you have one or two alternatives.

Edited by Andrew-T on 30/09/2015 at 18:42

Well it's been an interesting day. I had actually agreed to sell the 3 series to the business quoted in one of the responses above. I attended at the specified time but something just didn't feel right to me. The agreed meeting point turned out to be at an Evangelical Centre (irony?) with absolutely no indication that the place had anything remotely to do with the the organisation buying my car. The buying company confirmed it was the right place.

None of the 'Evangelists' knew anything about them.

No signs. No office. No rep. Nothing.

Maybe/maybe not I am being over cautious but that's no way to buy a car.

When handing over the keys to a £20k motor I need a little more assurance that I am actually going to get paid regardless of what the 'reviews' on the website say. I am not alleging that they are con men but you can't simply expect people to turn up under such some circumstances, with no evidence as to who they are dealing with, and be comfortable with it. Had they had an office or at least some indication that I was dealing with a 'company' I may have been slightly more at ease. A random bloke turning up in a taxi with no ID ain't my idea of security.

I left. Back to square one.

Edited by Dingle232 on 30/09/2015 at 22:18

And i'd have beem high tailing it down the road with you in the same circumstances.

edit, meant to put been, but under the circs, beem is fine..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/09/2015 at 22:25

And i'd have beem high tailing it down the road with you in the same circumstances.

edit, meant to put been, but under the circs, beem is fine..:-)

Glad someone else felt the same. No doubt they'll say 'we don't have premises to reduce overheads blah...' but I believe that they are affilliated to the Car People so why not simply put a booth in each of their showrooms to give people a bit of confidence that they are actually legit?

Cheek of it is they called me this evening and asked me to explain the no show. I don't think they liked my explanation :-).

Trading Down? - Andrew-T

<< Glad someone else felt the same. No doubt they'll say 'we don't have premises to reduce overheads blah...' but I believe that they are affilliated to the Car People so why not simply put a booth in each of their showrooms to give people a bit of confidence that they are actually legit?

Cheek of it is they called me this evening and asked me to explain the no show. I don't think they liked my explanation :-). >>

Next time (if there is one) you will have a couple of minders with you?

Ha. Aside from a stray cat and a couple of 80 year old Evangelists there was nothing I actually needed minding against :-)

They did actually ring me and left a messge to say how effronted they were that I had 'wasted their time'. I didn't even dignify it with a response.

Thanks for all the replies.

Trading Down? - Andrew-T

Let us know how your next move works out.