Citroen C3 - Speedometer - snudge

Hi all, I'm new to forums so please bear with me. My question is, I purchased a 52plate Citroen C3 last year. When I bought the C3 the speedometer said 33,088 and the seller advised me that this was not the correct reading as the speedometer had been replaced. I have been thinking about selling the car and decided to check previous MOTs online, I can see that on April 2009 the speedo read 59,506 and then on June 20010 the speedo reads 31,356. So I have established the speedometer must have been replaced in 2010. How do i work out the proper milage and will this affect the sale of my Citroen. I hope I have explained myself clearly. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated

Citroen C3 - Speedometer - RobJP

Unless you've got the actual receipt from when the speedo was replaced, you can't tell exactly what it was reading at the time, so you can't work out what it has really done.

All you can do is tell the prospective new owner that this has been done, and let them judge for themselves what the actual mileage is.

It will affect the price. To what extent is debateable. Maybe 20% of the price, maybe a bit less. However, you will do far better by being honest from the outset. If I was selling a car like that, I'd probably try selling through the evilbay, auction, £1 start, as you've got plenty of space to fully detail the situation to prospective buyers.

Thanks RobJP

Citroen C3 - Speedometer - Cyd

Sounds more like it's been clocked!!

A new speedo would have zero miles on it.

Of course it could have been a secondhand speedo. Do you have the receipt in the file?

Cyd{P , I think it must have been a second hand speedo as I bought it from an elderly female minister

Citroen C3 - Speedometer - The-Mechanic

Hmmm, seems like it's not just God who moves in mysterious ways !

On a serious note, can you get in touch with the previous owner and ask if she has any paperwork relating to the change of speedo ? She may even be able to put you in touch with whoever replaced it and they may have the mileages on record ?

Citroen C3 - Speedometer - artill

When you advertise, just be honest. Your car is 12 years old, and not worth too much. Any potential purchaser should judge it just on its condition and your honest desciption. The fact it had a second hand part fitted a couple of years ago really shouldnt matter too much if the rest of the car is still good.

Citroen C3 - Speedometer - Gibbo_Wirral

I was under the impression that the mileage of the car was stored in the BSI?

I see a lot of questions from people who've replaced their BSI and have ended up with the mileage of the donor car, and if and how it can be corrected.

Citroen C3 - Speedometer - SteveLee

Most modern cars with digital odometers store the mileage in the "speedo" and the engine management or body control ECUs, if you replace either, both mileages will usually synchronise to whatever is the higher mileage to prevent "clocking".