BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - Wilbow

Hi Everyone

New to this Forum. I was wondering if anyone had had any problems with diesel fuel from a Morrisons filing station?

My car was nearly empty and running fine. I filled to the brim £76.23 on 8th March, I have the receipt stating 'Diesel'. 2 days later my car started to misfire badly, I couldn't get it to a garage within 2 days and I was going away for a week after that, so 2 weeks elapsed between me filling and the garage telling me I had petrol in my fuel tank and a lot of damage had been done. I've been back to the Morrisons at Leyland but they just arent interested.

Anybody else had any experiences like this?

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - TedCrilly

Firstly I would wager several large drinks that the likes of Morrisons, ASDA, Tesco et al are hearing the same story everday from chancers who made the mistake themselves and are trying to shift the blame. So for them to fire you off comes as no real surprise.

Perhaps if you can find several others who bought fuel on the same day and suffered simialr problems and if you can prove beyond resonable doubt that the problems with your car were actually caused by cross contamination you might get somewhere.

Perhaps a word with a local paper??

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - unthrottled

The car ran fine on the way back from the filling station?

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - skidpan

The simple fact is if Morrisons in Leyland had been selling diesel contaminate with petrol (or anything else) on March 8th you would not be the only driver affected. In the 3 weeks since you filled there would have been stories in the local press about owners with damaged cars caused by this issue.

For it to affect only one car, yours, is an imposibility. Supermarkets sell huge amounts of fuel (despite the usual stories about it being substandard).

So the the simple fact is unless you can find other affected people you yourself filled the car with petrol at some point after 8th March (when your receipt proves you bought diesel).

Several years ago I put petrol in my diesel car, added probably 5 gallons to the 3 gallons of diesel in the tank. It started to missfire within 1/2 mile, not 2 days later. Stopped immediately, car drained with new filter fitted, no damage done.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - Hamsafar

Can we believe there IS petrol in the tank? or it it just a supposition or warranty-get-out by the garage. I once had a VW dealer telling we I had petrol in my diesel (I did not) when a diesel pump failed.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - xtrailman

Morrisons have sold contaminated fuel in the past, it was well publicised and compensation paid if you had a reciept.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - Collos25

Yes it did but in the case I think you refer to a lot more than one vehicle was implicated.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - the_bandit

As said before, what proof do you have that the diesel is contaminated? Have the garage carried out a fuel analysis?

Many cars would have been affected by this were this to be true.

You say you ran your fuel tank down low before refuelling, more likely that you have distrubed some s***e in the bottom of the tank and this has worked its way down the fuel line, blocked the filter, etc......

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - Avant

"....my car started to misfire badly."

I thought that if you put petrol in a diesel car it wouldn't just misfire, it would 'fail to proceed' totally, and almost immediately. The Bandit's suggestion makes sense to me.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - SteveLee

"....my car started to misfire badly."

I thought that if you put petrol in a diesel car it wouldn't just misfire, it would 'fail to proceed' totally, and almost immediately. The Bandit's suggestion makes sense to me.

Depends how much, an up to about 20/80% of petrol/diesel will mix and run fine - very common in the old days in the winter to stop the diesel waxing. Some modern ultra high pressure diesel pumps can be sensitive to the lack of lubricity (such a word?) from petrol in the diesel and will "pick up" then seize. You should be able to smell a significant amount of petrol in the diesel, just pop the filler and have a sniff.

I wouldn't expect a slight contamination to cause many breakdowns, if the mix was strong enough to kill your car in two miles I'd expect the area around the forecourt to be littered with broken-down cars - particularly as many skint people these days run around with hardly any fuel in the tank.

Also I wouldn't put it past a dodgy garage to pour a couple of cans of petrol into a diesel fuel tank to avoid a warranty claim.

BMW 3 Series E46 320d SE - Diesel Contaminated with petrol from Morrisons - craig-pd130

My MD misfuelled his Grand Cherokee (with the MB 320CDI motor), ending up with about a 50/50 mix in the tank. It ran enough to get him 2 miles from the petrol station, but was misfiring sufficiently for him to notice and ask my advice - and he's as mechanically minded as my 80-year-old mum.