Air pollution - hillman

This is a paraphrase of an article that appeared in a recent edition of the New Scientist magazine. I hope that they don't mind my repeating it, but the subject is rather pressing. It's going to raise hackles among more that BR members, especially the last paragraph.

" Pollution, a blight on London life

Chose carefully where you live in London, the air is toxic. In almost half of London boroughs, the proportion of deaths from air pollution rose between 2010 and 2011, according to Public Health England.

Jenny Jones, Green Party member of the Greater London Authority, says that approximately 360,000 extra vehicles burning diesel between 2000 and 2011 are partly to blame. They emit particles which aggravate lung and heart conditions. In the 15 boroughs where death rates rose, percentages attributed to pollution were highest in Westminster, up from 8.30 to 8.32 per cent in 2011. The average in England 5.36 per cent.

"Climate-change linked policy of favouring diesel over petrol has really backfired for Europe because of the increased pollution," says Frank Kelly of King's College London.

"We need more electric vehicles," says Jones, "The simplest solution is to reduce the traffic on our roads." "

Air pollution - RT

To be credible, those statistics need separating into pre- Euro V introduction and afterwards because the later diesels have about 80% less particles than earlier ones - it also needs to separate timescales pre/post the introduction of LEZ for goods vehicles.

But at the end of the day, it's peoples' choice to live in such a cramped, congested and polluted areas and have to accept the pros as well as the cons.

Ms Jones - the simplest solution is for Londoners to spread themselves out more evenly over the whole of the UK - or a cull !

Air pollution - Bobbin Threadbare

Ms Jones - the simplest solution is for Londoners to spread themselves out more evenly over the whole of the UK - or a cull !

Clearly this has already begun. Cyclists are being eliminated rather unfortunately

Air pollution - gordonbennet

Quite how you reduce traffic whilst increasing the population of an already overcrowded island at an unsustainable rate i look forward to seeing.

To be fair, electric and hybrid vehicles are a decent alternative for many people who live and move about in cities, can't argue with that being a decent way forward.

Still won't help the world though, energy still has to be generated somewhere.

Too many people concentrated in too small a land mass is going to cause problems whatever you do.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

Too many people concentrated in too small a land mass is going to cause problems whatever you do.

This is easily the biggest 'elephant in the room'. Population is such a big problem no-one will discuss it meaningfully, tho I'm sure most people recognise that it is there. Humans are the only species able to take steps, but for all sorts of reasons they don't. When it becomes really urgent it will take far too long to correct.

Several years ago it was said that when nations begin to fight over resources, it will be for water, not oil.

Air pollution - RT

Animal species are generally self-limiting - when they're too numerous for their resources, they slow their rate of breeding to match the resource - humans are continuously trying to defy nature.

The succession of wars over two millenium has kept population numbers in check, sadly by culling the youngest, fittest members - we're overdue for another big one soon !

Air pollution - Sofa Spud

One of my bugbears is when people claim taxis are better for the environment than cars.

Usually taxi journeys replace car journeys in cities one-for-one, so taxis don't reduce congestion. And taxis are either ordinary cars, in which case their environmental impact is the same as cars, or they are specially made like the TX1, which are less economical than a small or medium diesel car. The only benefit to the envionment of taxis is that they reduce the need for parking - but that's partly cancelled out by taxi drivers' entrenched habit of leaving the engine running while parked!

I think range-extender hybrids will become commonplace in the future, and will spend much of their time running on just electric power while in cities. Pure electric vehicles will remain as niche products for the foreseeable future, as cars and vans (particularly vans) for local use.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/11/2013 at 15:37

Air pollution - jamie745

Jenny Jones gets far more media airtime than a mere member of the London Assembly really warrants. There are 24 other members of the London Assembly and I'd be incredibly surprised if anybody here could name one of them without looking it up.

Air pollution - Collos25

Berlin brought in a policy of only allowing what was considered green cars the amount of traffic reduced as more people car shared caught the train etc the air quality is now worse than before .The experiment was a complete failure making the green party look what they are complete idiots they have had Germany build so many wind turbines and solar farms plus the closure of all nuclear power stations the country is in dire straights of running out of energy only the expansion of brown coal power stations has so far averted the catastrophe .

Air pollution - hillman

I've always had an interest in electric vehicles. During the 1940s our local dairy delivered its mik by means of a fleet of electric milk drays. I remember asking one of the drivers why he was driving at slow walking pace. He replied that he had 'run out of juice'.

When I was working in Seoul, Korea, during the 1990s the taxis in the city were all run on LPG to reduce air pollution; and the city seemed to run on its taxis. But the air pollution was so bad that it was difficult to see more than a few hundred yards because of what they called 'smog'. To us who recall real smog it was a joke. I remember in Manchester during the 1950s not being able to see my outstretched fingers when standing below a street light.

I would like to propose that, however much we might personally dislike electric vehicles, the solution for inner cities lies partially in Bye Laws stipulating that personal transport must be electric. Most motorists living in inner cities don't do more daily mileage than an electric vehicle can cope with. And, that bugbear, nuclear power stations.

Air pollution - jamie745

Hillman, the irony is that you've just accidentally made the perfect argument against Electric Vehicles being necessary. Take a walk around Britain today and you'll find the air is cleaner than it's ever been. There's clear air in our cities, there's bright green trees all over our suburbs and far fewer people are growing up with respiratory conditions. The key point is that we didn't achieve this by reducing personal transport. There's 7 million more cars on the roads than even in 1997, traffic has increased fourfold since the 1960s and miles driven kep rising.

You say you couldn't see your fingers in 1950s Manchester, well by 2000 that had most certainly changed without electric cars being anywhere to be seen. The majority of early 20th century smog issues stemmed from the heavy industry taking place very close to what only a few years earlier, had been peaceful living spaces.

The move to unleaded petrol probably had more impact on this than anything else. Look at crowded cities like Oxford which has seen emissions rise since they banned cars, because al the extra buses kick out far worse gases. The anti-co2 lobby are the biggest threat to our green and pleasant land.

Air pollution - alan1302

Hillman, the irony is that you've just accidentally made the perfect argument against Electric Vehicles being necessary. Take a walk around Britain today and you'll find the air is cleaner than it's ever been. There's clear air in our cities, there's bright green trees all over our suburbs and far fewer people are growing up with respiratory conditions. The key point is that we didn't achieve this by reducing personal transport. There's 7 million more cars on the roads than even in 1997, traffic has increased fourfold since the 1960s and miles driven kep rising.

You say you couldn't see your fingers in 1950s Manchester, well by 2000 that had most certainly changed without electric cars being anywhere to be seen. The majority of early 20th century smog issues stemmed from the heavy industry taking place very close to what only a few years earlier, had been peaceful living spaces.

The move to unleaded petrol probably had more impact on this than anything else. Look at crowded cities like Oxford which has seen emissions rise since they banned cars, because al the extra buses kick out far worse gases. The anti-co2 lobby are the biggest threat to our green and pleasant land.

Not being able to see pollution like you could back in the 50's does not mean it is not there and increasing the amount of CO2 in the air is not something we want and the only way to change that is to move away from fossil fuels for transport and for power generation.

Air pollution - jamie745

Not being able to see pollution like you could back in the 50's does not mean it is not there

A very convenient argument for the hard left green lobby, but if it's all the same to you I'll worry about things we can actually see.

the only way to change that is to move away from fossil fuels for transport and for power generation.

Even if I agreed with the hysteria around carbon dioxide (which I don't) I would still acknowledge that Britain is too small to have a measurable impact.

The UK produces 2% of Earths man-made carbon dioxide, and only 20% of that 2% is road transport. I'd argue we're being taxed in horrific disproportion to the 'damage' we apparently cause.

Also consider this; if Britain sank tomorrow, it'd take China merely two years to make up that 2%. Right now we're taxing business to death, taxing poor people into poverty all to pay for silly windmills, while India and China between them has over 500 coal fired power stations under construction.

It's total madness. While we're faffing about with miniscule amount of co2, the rest of the World is getting on with life.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

The UK produces 2% of Earths man-made carbon dioxide, and only 20% of that 2% is road transport. I'd argue we're being taxed in horrific disproportion to the 'damage' we apparently cause.

So because we only produce 2%, that is insignificant and we don't need to consider changing anything. What irresponsible b*ll*x. Even you cannot argue with long-term science showing that (a) atmospheric CO2 has been rising for over a century and (b) average global temperature has also been rising. But maybe you would argue that as it has only risen a degree or two, that is also insignificant.

You can dispute that those rises are due simply to more humans burning fossil fuel (as Nigel Lawson does). That does not mean it is a problem we can ignore.

Air pollution - alan1302

Not being able to see pollution like you could back in the 50's does not mean it is not there

A very convenient argument for the hard left green lobby, but if it's all the same to you I'll worry about things we can actually see.

the only way to change that is to move away from fossil fuels for transport and for power generation.

Even if I agreed with the hysteria around carbon dioxide (which I don't) I would still acknowledge that Britain is too small to have a measurable impact.

Also consider this; if Britain sank tomorrow, it'd take China merely two years to make up that 2%. Right now we're taxing business to death, taxing poor people into poverty all to pay for silly windmills, while India and China between them has over 500 coal fired power stations under construction.

It's total madness. While we're faffing about with miniscule amount of co2, the rest of the World is getting on with life.

Ah I see now - your a disbeliever in science and only believe in what you can see yourself. Right - can't really discuss it with you then if you believe that.

Air pollution - bazza

There was a good article in the DT on this very subject, apparently the associated costs are making German industry uncompetitive and Merkel will at some point soon be forced to U turn on the no-nuclear policy. It was a knee-jerk reaction to the Fukishima disaster, but obviously flawed.

Air pollution - jamie745

So because we only produce 2%, that is insignificant and we don't need to consider changing anything. What irresponsible b*ll*x.

I said we are taxed in horrific disproportion. If you believe being overtaxed for no reason is 'responsible' then that's up to you, but don't try and tell me paying lots of tax to the Government is going to change the temperature of Earth.

Even you cannot argue with long-term science showing that (a) atmospheric CO2 has been rising for over a century and (b) average global temperature has also been rising.

I can counter that by pointing out average temperatures haven't risen since 1998 and that 95% of atmospheric CO2 is naturally produced. Note how they call it 'climate change' now rather than 'global warming' like they used to.

Some American scientists are now saying we're entering a long spell of global cooling.

You can dispute that those rises are due simply to more humans burning fossil fuel (as Nigel Lawson does). That does not mean it is a problem we can ignore.

The most dangerous words in politics are 'something must be done.' Unfortunately, whenever politicians decide to do something, it usually results in all of us getting poorer and the supposed 'problem' remaining unsolved.

My point is this; I don't know whether CO2 emissions change the temperature of Earth. However I do know the measures we've taken to supposedly combat it are destructive & dangerous.

Energy bills are only going up in Europe. Texans have seen a 50% reduction in recent years because America is embracing cheaper fossil alternatives with Shale Gas. In Europe, we attach a 15% surcharge to everybodies electricity bill to fund useless windmills, in the most shocking transfer of money from poor to rich I've ever seen.

In Europe, we're taxing business so grossly that the last of the heavy industry is simply shutting down here and re-opening in India to avoid EU Environmental Law. Therefore simply moving CO2 emissions, rather than stopping them. Another example of how the current measures don't work. In a globalised world, you can only take this stuff so far before the money simply leaves your country and goes somewhere more welcoming.

Europe is fast becoming a desolate, industrial wasteland while the rest of the World gets on with life. Every time we pass an Environmental directive, the Chinese say 'thank you very much.' Britain faces the genuine prospect of running out of electricity in 2015, because the EU is forcing us to close a few power stations. Meanwhile the Chinese & Indians have 500 coal fired power stations under construction. The maths don't lie.

I don't see how we're going to achieve anything by plunging Europe into poverty & darkness while the rest of the World eats our lunch and dinner. Who are we helping then? Certainly not ourselves.

That's my point.

Ah I see now - your a disbeliever in science and only believe in what you can see yourself. Right - can't really discuss it with you then if you believe that.

Me and over 50% of the British public, according to the most recent polls on the credibility of this 'science.' I'm with the majority and I'm quite comfortable there.

Edited by jamie745 on 20/11/2013 at 01:48

Air pollution - madf

I have to say I agree 100% with jamie.

We pay Gas powered power stations to stay open when windmills produce too much energy - so they can cope when the woind drops. And coal fired stations as well.

Only in Wonderland does such nonsense exist.I am all in favour of green measures if they make economic sense. Mass windmills in the sea do not, cannot and never will. The people who authorised Goernment subsidies on them should have every penny of their wealth confioscated to help pay for them.

Edited by madf on 20/11/2013 at 08:39

Air pollution - bazza

Great post Jamie, a brilliant summary of the nonsensical situation we find ourselves in.

Air pollution - Collos25

Having worked in the Energy business for a very long time I have to agree with Jamie his only fault his portroyal of the facts is to good for what is really happening.

Air pollution - andyfr

Well said Jamie!

Air pollution - Andrew-T

< ... don't try and tell me paying lots of tax to the Government is going to change the temperature of Earth. >

I don't think anyone has made that daft suggestion. What is the basis for your extreme antipathy to paying tax?

< Some American scientists are now saying we're entering a long spell of global cooling. >

Most aren't.

< My point is this; I don't know whether CO2 emissions change the temperature of Earth. However I do know the measures we've taken to supposedly combat it are destructive & dangerous. >

And my point is that if we (probably not you, Jamie) wait until we do know, the situation will be more irreversible than it is now.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/11/2013 at 10:57

Air pollution - Collos25

A little knowledge on the subject might enhance your argument.

Man made co2 accounted for 2% worldwide last year of all co2 present on the earth.

21% is the amount of oxygen present in the atmosphere any increase or decrease in that amount we will die as humans its funny with all the tonnes of co2 generated there is still 21% of oxygen.The climate is changing there is no doubt but humans like king canute will not change anything ever no matter what various governments tell you..

Air pollution - Andrew-T

A little knowledge on the subject might enhance your argument.

Man made co2 accounted for 2% worldwide last year of all co2 present on the earth.

21% is the amount of oxygen present in the atmosphere any increase or decrease in that amount we will die as humans its funny with all the tonnes of co2 generated there is still 21% of oxygen.The climate is changing there is no doubt but humans like king canute will not change anything ever no matter what various governments tell you..

Collos, to add to your 'little knowledge'. There is about 20% of oxygen but only about 0.05 percent of CO2. As long as we don't kill all the plants which turn CO2 back to oxygen, that should be OK. The signs are that they are not keeping up as well as they did.

The point is that CO2 (and methane) are good at retaining the earth's heat, instead of it being radiated into space.

Air pollution - alan1302

Me and over 50% of the British public, according to the most recent polls on the credibility of this 'science.' I'm with the majority and I'm quite comfortable there.

I'm pretty sure that you and over 50% of the British public would not understand the science behind climate change. You have only given your thoughts ont he subject - but can't back it up with evidence because that eveidence does not exist.

The majority of scientists belive that climate chaange is happening and I would much rather trust people who know what they are talking about rather than listening to the British public.

This is a British public who belived the MMR vacination was dangerous - which had been proven again and again that it wasn't.

Air pollution - artill

Just to add my thoughts, I dont know if climate change is happening or not. and if it is, i dont know if its a bad thing. Have you noticed how they have stopped calling it Global Warming because most of us think its no bad thing to be warmer, but now its 'Climate change' and we all know people fear change, even when its for our benefit.

Because of the laws of supply and demand, if we in the west use less fossil fuels, the price will fall. In the developed world we pretty much buy as much as we want, but in the rest of the world they would buy, and burn far more if it were cheaper, and they would use every last barrel we dont.

If the Government were really bothered about the effects of CO2, wouldnt they stop the oil in the north sea being dug up, and stop shale gas exploration? But no, they still want if dug up and burnt, just they want us to pay more tax on it while we do it.

I dont think we should do nothing. Afterall, if we use less it costs us less, but i think it should be a level playing field. All CO2 taxed at the same rate. Why is car CO2 worse than domestic CO2, which is still more heavily taxed than air travel CO2?

Air pollution - RT

The term was changed from Global Warming to Climate Change to more accurately reflect the fact that while a degree or two extra has a major effect on the world's ecosystems it has little effect on human comfort - plus the fact that weather extremes are more likely than previously, and not all these extremes would be welcomed.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

The term was changed from Global Warming to Climate Change to more accurately reflect the fact that while a degree or two extra has a major effect on the world's ecosystems it has little effect on human comfort - plus the fact that weather extremes are more likely than previously, and not all these extremes would be welcomed.

But it seems to have a noticeable effect on the sea temperature in some parts of the world. Hurricanes or typhoons are more frequent and more ferocious. Only those in denial would say that torrential rain and its consequences have not increased in intensity in recent years. Or if you prefer, the bad ones are coming along more often.

Air pollution - madf

Hurricanes or typhoons are more frequent and more ferocious.

The most recent report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), released in September, found that there was “low confidence in attribution of changes in tropical cyclone activity to human influence” so far. The report also had “low confidence” that there would be increases in intense tropical-cyclone activity over the next few decades,

Read more: Did Climate Change Cause Supertyphoon Haiyan? | TIME.com http://science.time.com/2013/11/11/climate-change-didnt-cause-supertyphoon-haiyan-but-the-storm-is-still-a-reason-to-fight-warming/#ixzz2lCpAqwue

Air pollution - Andrew-T

Hurricanes or typhoons are more frequent and more ferocious.

The most recent report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) found that there was “low confidence in attribution of changes in tropical cyclone activity to human influence” so far.

Which confirms a perceived change in tropical cyclone activity. I wasn't attributing anything to human influence. We might just wonder why it is happening.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/11/2013 at 17:48

Air pollution - thunderbird

Collos25 says 21% oxygen, Andrew-T says 20%

I seemed to remember it was 20.8% but a quick google confirms its actually 20.946%.

That pretty close to 21% in my opinion.

Air pollution - jamie745

I don't think anyone has made that daft suggestion. What is the basis for your extreme antipathy to paying tax?

When politicians talk about 'action' on climate change, what they mean is tax. That's what I object to. The idea that taxes on petrol, air travel, home heating and all sorts of other things will change the temperature of Earth.

And my point is that if we (probably not you, Jamie) wait until we do know, the situation will be more irreversible than it is now.

You won't reverse climate change my friend. Climate has changed since long before humans walked this Earth. Even during human times, there's been 50 year spells where the temperature has been far higher than it is today. We didn't cause it to go up, nor did we bring it down to the lower temperature of today.

We shouldn't debate whether 'climate change' is real because it always has been, the problem is now the term has been hi-jacked to suggest it's all the doing of humans. It's a neat political trick and makes it easier to label dissenters as 'deniers' but the consensus is cracking.

I think it's horrifically arrogant of humans to sit around saying we can reverse changes to Earths climate.

I'm pretty sure that you and over 50% of the British public would not understand the science behind climate change.

Typical response from the intelligencia elite. A neat pat on the head followed by 'well clearly you don't understand.'

The British public do understand that climate change has existed for millions of years, prior to Range Rovers existing. The British public also noted how Gordon Brown lauded the worlds first climate change legislation......in a Danish snowstorm.

The British public note the rising price of food due to farmers struggling in recent years to harvest properly in severely, bitterly cold winters all the while people like Al Gore and David Cameron tell us the Arctic no longer exists.

Even more ironically, the British public are finding it more expensive to heat their homes in these much colder winters, due to green taxes being imposed to stop global warming. You couldn't make this s*** up.

This is a British public who belived the MMR vacination was dangerous - which had been proven again and again that it wasn't.

For the benefit of younger readers who don't remember the MMR controversy, I feel it's important to outline what actually happened.

The British public didn't suddenly decide one day that the MMR vaccine was dangerous. A qualified surgeon and medical researcher (a supposedly credible person) named Andrew Wakefield produced a fradulent research paper in the late 1990s claiming a strong link between the MMR vaccine and autism. Wakefield is now banned from practicing medicine in the UK and was found to have falsified his findings.

The media obviously seized upon his claims and along with the BBC did plenty to scare people, but they all had the backup of supposedly credible, scientific research. The fact no other scientist managed to reproduce his results was never reported. The British public were suckered by supposedly credible science. Ever since then, the public are far less trusting in such people.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

< You won't reverse climate change my friend. Climate has changed since long before humans walked this Earth. > Of course it has - so?

< Even during human times, there's been 50 year spells where the temperature has been far higher than it is today. > I suggest to you that is largely conjecture. However the Arctic ice-sheet is shrinking fast as we watch, so it must be getting warmer there?

< We didn't cause it to go up, nor did we bring it down to the lower temperature of today. > I have carefully avoided suggesting that we are the cause of the temperature rise, but it will certainly not make life easier for us (all of us) if it continues. It may be worth trying to slow it down.

< I think it's horrifically arrogant of humans to sit around saying we can reverse changes to Earth's climate. > I don't believe the fear of appearing arrogant has inhibited you in any way. It may be negligent or irresponsible not to consider the possibility that we may be making things worse for ourselves.

< The British public do understand that climate change has existed for millions of years > Don't make me laugh. Most of the British public has a sketchy understanding of science. Ask them to vote on whether they believe in the Higgs boson, for example, despite the best efforts of Brian Cox. They are easily bamboozled by simplistic stats thrown at them by anyone - especially politicians.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/11/2013 at 17:43

Air pollution - jamie745

I suggest to you that is largely conjecture.

No it's not. It's ice core samples. Even the 'scientists' being paid by Governments to back up the theory will admit it's previously been far hotter than today.

However the Arctic ice-sheet is shrinking fast as we watch, so it must be getting warmer there?

So it might be, it's nothing to do with Range Rovers or Ryanair. Having said that, NASA this year confirmed a 60% increase in the arctic ice sheet in just one year. Funny how I never saw the BBC report that.

www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/arctic-sea-ice-minimu...E

Of course, the establishment now say 'oh we expected that, it disproves nothing!!!'

They expected it so much that they didn't even mention the possibility of an increase as recently as last year, if it was apparently so obvious it'd happen then why not tell us?

They expected it so much that in 2007 they said the Arctic would be gone by 2013. That claim was deemed credible enough for the BBC to report it, as fact, on the news at 6.

t may be worth trying to slow it down.

Ok, the arctic sheet is getting bigger, Britain is getting colder. It's forecast to be -2 tonight where I live. In November. In southen England. Maybe Govt policy has actually been too good. We've solved it. We've solved it so much we're going to freeze to death.

Rather than try to slow Earth down, we should be looking at what we can do to help changing parts of the world cope with different weather patterns.

It may be negligent or irresponsible not to consider the possibility that we may be making things worse for ourselves.

I explained earlier we're making things worse for ourselves. We're driving our continent into darkness & poverty while the rest of the World gets on with life. Even if you believe it's all man made, you have to accept we can make no difference when the Indians/Chinese are building 500 new coal power stations.

Most of the British public has a sketchy understanding of science

Perhaps, but they can spot a con job when they see one when it attacks their wallets.

Edited by jamie745 on 20/11/2013 at 18:07

Air pollution - Wackyracer

I watched an interesting program a while back which had the governments scientific advisors doing core drillings and they said it was actually the reverse of what the governments would have us believe.

They claimed that lower levels of co2 were linked to higher global temperatures and iirc they said there was a delayed effect of about 100 years. So todays temperatures could be due to the amount of co2 a 100 years ago if they are the ones to believe.

Air pollution - alan1302

The media obviously seized upon his claims and along with the BBC did plenty to scare people, but they all had the backup of supposedly credible, scientific research. The fact no other scientist managed to reproduce his results was never reported. The British public were suckered by supposedly credible science. Ever since then, the public are far less trusting in such people.

And that's why you can't believe the majority of people know enough about the science of climate change to know what is best and what is fact or fiction.

Trusting the media stories without themselves bothering to check anything else is why people think climate change is somehow a bit 'con' when it infact real and needs to eb dealt with before it can get out of control.

I think the fact that you think you know better than scientists and researchers who know climate change to be real and that a lot of it is down to what humans and what we have done to the environment quite worrying to be honest.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

I think the fact that you think you know better than scientists and researchers who know climate change to be real, and that a lot of it is down to what humans and what we have done to the environment quite worrying to be honest.

As I said a few days ago, people will believe what they want to believe, even ignoring facts established by many scientists. Our Jamie appears to be a good example, but he likes to attach blame to 'government' if he can. He tells us not to blame Range Rovers or Ryanair for climate change, which I have been at pains not to do.

I can't be bothered any longer. Heads and brick walls come to mind.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

Collos25 says 21% oxygen, Andrew-T says 20%

I seemed to remember it was 20.8% but a quick google confirms its actually 20.946%.

That pretty close to 21% in my opinion.

21% or 20% is irrelevant. I was using a round number to compare with 0.05 %. You are welcome to make a pointless issue of the difference if you want.

Air pollution - jamie745

I watched an interesting program a while back...

I believe I saw the same programme. If I'm not mistaken it was broadcast on Channel 4 a few years ago and Ofcom received letters of complaint about it merely being aired - before it was actually aired. Says it all really. How dare a sceptical point of view get 90 minutes airtime.

why people think climate change is somehow a bit 'con' when it infact real and needs to eb dealt with before it can get out of control.

Well you've got your viewpoint, you've got your script and nothing I say will change any of it. Thankfully the majority of people are now coming across to my point of view.

Considering the vast majority of media coverage has been incredibly biased to the pro-green lobby until very recently, I'm surprised you think the media are responsible for people believing it's all a con.

People know it's a con because it's always used as an excuse for more government, more interfearence, more regulation and above all, more tax. The mere idea that humans can have 'control' of nature and 'deal with' the planets climate is the arrogant, self absorbed viewpoint of the intelligencia elite.

I think the fact that you think you know better than scientists and researchers who know climate change to be real and that a lot of it is down to what humans and what we have done to the environment quite worrying to be honest.

It's a shame that science has become so politicised these days, because it discredits the profession. You can no longer merely throw the word 'scientist' into an argument and win it, because letters after your name aren't enough anymore.

The fact is practically every 'scientist' who pushes this agenda is earning a salary out of doing so, either from national Governments, quangos or the European Union. It's funny how when Government gives scientists money to come back with the 'right' conclusion, they somehow seem to do so. Hmmm.

Our Jamie appears to be a good example, but he likes to attach blame to 'government' if he can.

I'm saying we need to be incredibly weary of anything being used as an excuse to expand the State. The whole Global Warming agenda is incredibly convenient for politicians. When something allows them to all club together and show everyone what lovely people they are, they magically all agree.

Every attempt at One World Governance usually comes under the thin veil of 'saving the world.' I'm somebody who naturally wants to radically cut back the State, so I'm never going to buy into Government telling me we need wind farms to save Earth am I?

Air pollution - dan86

Wind and solar will never be a truly viable way to generate enough electricity for the country. We nedd more nuclear power stations. All the benefits of a coal or gas power station without all the c02 they produce. Only problem is the waste.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

< Thankfully the majority of people are now coming across to my point of view. .... I'm saying we need to be incredibly weary of anything being used as an excuse to expand the State. The whole Global Warming agenda is incredibly convenient for politicians. When something allows them to all club together and show everyone what lovely people they are, they magically all agree. >

They may be, but I hope they're not, as that view seems to be (a) it's all a politicians' conspiracy, and (b) the problem is too big for us to affect it, so let's just carry on, do nothing, and it may even go away.

By the way, I think you mean wary. I'm the one getting weary. :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/11/2013 at 10:22

Air pollution - jamie745

They may be, but I hope they're not

Well sorry old son but they are.

(a) it's all a politicians' conspiracy

I wouldn't go as far as conspiracy, but I've rarely encountered a politician who turns down an opportunity for more Government, so the whole agenda is incredibly convenient. It lets them have their fancy summit banquets and show us all how lovely they are. They love all that stuff.

(b) the problem is too big for us to affect it, so let's just carry on, do nothing, and it may even go away.

You won't change the temperature of Earth my friend. It won't go away, it doesn't matter what we do. In the lifespan of Earth, humans have been on it for all of about 7 minutes. The planet has transformed itself many times before we got here.

What we should be doing is looking at how we can help affected areas cope with changes. If Britain is now going to experience arctic winter regularly for the first time in 40 years, then how can we best deal with that? If rapid coastal erosion is going to harm certain areas, how do we help them move?

Thats the sort of thing we should be looking at.

Air pollution - Andrew-T

They may be, but I hope they're not

Well sorry old son but they are. Oh - who says so?

(b) the problem is too big for us to affect it, so let's just carry on, do nothing, and it may even go away.

You won't change the temperature of Earth my friend. It won't go away, it doesn't matter what we do. I'm quite certain none of us individually will change the temp. I would not be trying for us, but for the longer term. That calls for large-scale co-operation, not acceptance of powerlessness - which is what it seems you accuse our glorious leaders of?

Air pollution - madf

Edited by madf on 21/11/2013 at 18:24

Air pollution - jamie745

Oh - who says so?

Practically every respectable opinion poll on the subject. Apparently the British public are the most sceptical about the green agenda in the entire EU.

That calls for large-scale co-operation, not acceptance of powerlessness - which is what it seems you accuse our glorious leaders of?

Co-operation is a reasonable aim but unfortunately the modern day political class take a yard when merely an inch is offered. When they talk about 'global action on climate change' what they're actually asking for is tax harmonisation. They want every Government singing from the same sheet, all agreeing with each other and surprise surprise, all taxing the same amount.

These people are not credible, thankfully the emerging economies are making it impossible for global agreement to happen. So for now, it's just Europe all by itself trying to change the World, while our people starve, freeze and become impoverished and the industry, money and jobs all rush to Asia.

This is Asia's century you know. Us Brits had our time in the 19th century. It won't be Britain or Europe calling the shots over the next 100 years. It'll be Brazil (yes I do know Brazil isn't Asian), China, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia etc etc etc