The snow circus comes to town - Oz
What happened really was that we had a few inches of snowfall, and all Back Rommers should have seen the antics of the drivers attempting to cope with the hill either side of my house (I live in a dip).
'Maximum revs failing giving loads of wheelspin but no forward motion' was a common strategy. Led to at least one flat tyre and I wonder how many other knackered tyres and clutches.
Amazing that cars still attempted to follow up the hill at one car length separation. Then, after an enforced stop, the attempts to re-start up the hill were really worth seeing.
Do these guys (and sorry, gals too) really not think ahead?
Local residents were manning the grit shovels and a couple of 4wd's were giving tows, but really, have any lessons been learned?
Oz (as was)
The snow circus comes to town - CM
This snow lark is a bit of a shock to the system. I flew into Gatwick this morning, having spent a week in the Caribbean, to be greeted with snow, sleet, rain and 2ºc!
The snow circus comes to town - Toad, of Toad Hall.
This snow lark is a bit of a shock to the
system. I flew into Gatwick this morning, having spent a week
in the Caribbean, to be greeted with snow, sleet, rain and
2ºc!

CM, I drove past Gatwick at 8:10.

Call that snow? There was hardly any!!!

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Toad

More snow than in the Carib!
The snow circus comes to town - Peter D
That's where front wheel drive falls over. If you get stuck on a hill due to snow ( not ice ) and you are determined to get up the hill, turn the car round and go up backwards as most of the weight when you pulls away will be transfered to the driven wheels, also let 5 to 6 psi out of the driven tyres to increse the footprint. Remember to blow them up again before travelling and long distance or higher speeds.

I have done this several times for people who are stuck, often works much to the surprise of the owners.

Regards Peter
The snow circus comes to town - Richard Hall
I have a bad feeling about this snow. It's snowing outside, my Isuzu Trooper is parked in my driveway 10 miles away, and I have come to work in the Audi (putting it in for MOT before I sell it). Knowing the way these things work, I reckon we'll have a foot of snow by teatime.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
The snow circus comes to town - Steve S
"More snow than in the Carib!" Indeed!

Where in the WI CM?

Just come back from Tobago myself - left Gatwick with snow on the ground - returned to find more!

Thank goodness for heated seats...brrr.
The snow circus comes to town - Rebecca {P}
Out of interest please advise what is best practice when driving in snow (genuine question!)

Fortunately, it's blue skies and clear roads here (for now) but you never know.

Wishing I was in St Lucia,

R
The snow circus comes to town - No Do$h
Well here in Sunny Bournemouth it is blowing a gale, albeit a sunny one, so naturally I rode my Mountain-Bike in today. Should be fun if the snow continues down the M3 and gets past the downs.....

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
The snow circus comes to town - Mark (RLBS)
>>Out of interest please advise what is best practice when driving in snow

The following would be my thoughts........

Like normal except everything slower and more gentle. Gentle brakes, gentle acceleration, gentle turning. Lots of looking far ahead to avoid needing to do anything in a hurry or suddenly.

If your car gets stuck, don't spin the wheels trying to get out, you will only dig it in. Using forward and reverse rock that car backwards and forwards building up momentum (like on a swing) until you have built up enough to pop out.

Bear in mind that even if you do everything properly, there will be loads of idiots on the road who won't.

Also bear in mind that road conditions can change dramatically between a sunny piece of road and a shady piece of road.

Remeber that if you can't see the surface of the road you don't know what is there - be that a pothole, speedbump or a rock.
Out of interest please advise what is best practice when driving
in snow (genuine question!)

Further to Mark's comments, I was always told to change up gear earlier, but don't know if this is correct as this would mean less engine braking. Can someone let me know what is correct?
The snow circus comes to town - Richard Hall
I was always told to change up
gear earlier, but don't know if this is correct as this
would mean less engine braking. Can someone let me know what
is correct?

Driving on snow, you don't want a huge amount of engine braking. Too much and the driven wheels will lose traction, which is not good. You'll know if this happens because the engine speed will drop to idle. I find the best approach in snow is to drive in the highest gear that I can get away with for my chosen speed, using only the very lightest touch on the throttle. It's also worth remembering, since most cars are now fitted with ABS, that this only works on the footbrake, not engine braking. So on an ABS equipped car, I will always use the brakes to slow down rather than the gears, and let the electronics sort out the traction problem for me.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
The snow circus comes to town - volvoman
Hi Oz - I live near the bottom of a steep hill and it never ceases to amaze me what people get up to. A few years ago we had several inches of snow and quite a few of my neighbours attempted to drive down and then back before clearing any snow. They all got stuck! A guy in a brand new 4x4 turned up looking for somewhere to show off I think. Needless to say he got just past my house then found himself stuck sideways in the narrow road. Talk about embarrassed !

A few weeks ago another neighbour did what she always does. She turned into our road in the wrong gear and tried to drive up the hill in 3rd gear in the snow. Big mistake - She got stuck at the bottom. Better still, when hubby came home in his Jag, he tried to negotiate the road and got stuck too ! Both simply abandoned their cars and let other people clear the snow before retrieving them later that day.
The snow circus comes to town - Shigg
>>Out of interest please advise what is best practice when driving in snow (genuine question!)

One thing to watch this time of year is where the shadows are, sounds obvious I know, some drivers think that because the snow/frost has gone from most of the roads because of the sun all is well but where the sun doesn't reach the ice can still be there. I think bikers are more aware of this generally.

Steve.
One thing to watch this time of year is where the
shadows are, sounds obvious I know, some drivers think that because
the snow/frost has gone from most of the roads because of
the sun all is well but where the sun doesn't reach
the ice can still be there. I think bikers are more
aware of this generally.

I also have found that bridges over streams can be exceedingly icy.
What amazed me today was the number of people who set off up the hill when they could easily see that there was a holdup and they would have to stop part-way up. Countless cars couldn't re-start the journey up the hill and had to wait for the grit shovellers and pushers (no, not drugs).
Also amazing were those who thought they could re-start, at the same time trying to turn in order to go round the stationary car in front.
One young lass in a small sports car attempted to turn right into the road and after her car had performed an elegant pirouette, drove back the way she'd come, no doubt shocked but wiser.
Oz (as was)
The snow circus comes to town - Armitage Shanks{P}
What is with this useless country and the useless infrasturcture that doesn't work? Police warning people not to use the M40 in Oxfordshire because of snow! Snow in January - what a shock! Why don't they spend some of our extortionate road and council taxes on getting the stuff cleared up and keeping the roads open. No other country in Europe would be ground to a halt by half an inch of snow and 2 degrees of frost!
The snow circus comes to town - Marcus
AS,
A pal of mine used to be exasperated when he heard comments like yours. As a fairly high powered manager, his responsibilities included snow clearing operations for several counties in Southern England.

His argument was that keep roads open with the little amount of snow that fell in his area would be simplicity itself. All that was needed was to buy lots more snow clearing equipment. Employ and train lots more people to operate it. Set up a standby roster system and pay all those operators on standby.

He regularly 'wrote down' in value millions of pounds in value of snow clearing equipment that never left the depots from one year to the next.

He would have loved to set up this operation but the cost to the Rate Payers(council tax) would have been huge. Unsurprisingly(and correctly) the Councils decided that it was simply not cost effective.

Marcus
The snow circus comes to town - cockle {P}
Marcus, as you say our problem is lack of regular snow.

Ultimately can the local councillors stand up in front of their electorate in May and say,'We spent X% of your Council tax on snow clearing', and still get elected? This May they might if people can remember back 4 months, but probably in three out of the previous four years we had no snow at all and they would have been laughed at. Sadly our councils are, sort of, accountable and we get the councils we deserve.

Last year I was skiing in the French Alps and 900mm (3ft) of snow fell in 15 hours overnight. At 08:00 the following morning the bus drivers were apologetic that they were running late, by 10 minutes!!! because they had had to put their snowchains on and dig out the entrance to the bus garage. The roads were pretty clear because the snowploughs had been running all night long. We were amazed but the locals just said that in the Alps if it's winter then it snows, a lot, and they are ready and able to deal with it and life just carries on.

Cockle
The snow circus comes to town - BrianW
How about self-help.
Whatever happened to the bins of salt which used to be installed on hills and near corners on local main roads?

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
The snow circus comes to town - HF
Was wondering the same myself, Brian, when I got stuck a couple of weeks ago. (no need, from V and the like, to mention 'idiot drivers')
HF ;)
The snow circus comes to town - Dynamic Dave
How about self-help.
Whatever happened to the bins of salt which used to be
installed on hills and near corners on local main roads?

The salt bins around my neck of the woods attract the weekend lager louts. If they're not relieving themselves in 'em, they're having sand fights in the street. Makes you feel kinda good knowing that the sand they're throwing at one another has an additional salt additive :o)
We could have got a lot of snow clearing equipment for the cost of Dome and the many failed Government computer projects, late and over budget military projects and Ken's silly congestion thingy!
The snow circus comes to town - Marcus

We could also have refrigerated rail tracks to stop them buckling in the heat of the British summer - as occaisonally happens. Again not really cost effective I suggest.

Well yes! We have points heaters for the winter so why not cooled rails? Marcus, I do see your point of view but what does it say about this country when people have to sleep 9 hours in their cars on a motorway because it is so icy that they can't move? I know we have to have fund raisers and raffles to buy dialysis machines that the Government ought to provide; perhaps we shall have to start a gritter fund for the M25 near Stansted!
The snow circus comes to town - Andrew-T
AS - like many people you have 20-20 hindsight. Surely it makes sense in a country which suffers months of snow every winter to be prepared for it, but not to admire such places from another country which doesn't. In fact with global warming, it seems that we shall get less serious snow than we used to.

I might complain that the councils sometimes react the other way, and send out the crews when there is not even any frost, never mind snowfall. What do you say then?
I say that for what I pay out I expect pot hole free roads, free of ice and snow when reasonable (Like when the fall is less than an inch!) To have a major motorway (M11)effectively shut for 6+ hours by sheets of ice is a scandal. I further say that I am almost always disappointed on all counts. Any Backroomers tried Bedforshire's roads, re pot holes? You'll know what I mean!
The snow circus comes to town - Micky
Armitage wrote:

">To have a major motorway (M11)effectively shut for 6+ hours by sheets of ice is a scandal.<"

A shambles, it appears that the gritters did not apply sufficient grit, a basic management failure.

A senior police officer should have taken hold of the M11 situation, closed the empty opposite carriagway (see news pics), sent down two snow ploughs, dismantled the central crash barrier and turned the vehicles round. No, that's far too simple.

M
Oz
Too right about anticipating having to stop going up hill.
If you wait until it is clear and you can make slow (but maintain momentum), careful progress in second or third gear you have a good chance of making it.
Stop half way up and you're lost.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
The snow circus comes to town - Nsar
In reply to the post about snow driving tips...put a couple of really strong plastic sacks in your boot (fertiliser sacks, not bin bags) tie 1.5 metre long loops through one corner of each and shove in your boot. If you get stuck in snow, jam these under your drive wheels and tie the string round your wing mirror/door handles. Drive onto the sacks and away with the things flapping around and stop when you get to clear tarmac to retrieve them. Repeat as required.
Ever since I was stuck most of the night on the M62 about 8 years ago, I have taken seriously the advice to keep something warm in the car to wear and generally drive round with more fuel in the tank. Cars turn into very effective fridges when stuck in those conditions.
"> (but maintain momentum),<"

Driving in snow? Momentum is all ...... but not too much.
The snow circus comes to town - Chad.R
I've been working at a client site in Wembley, Middx today;
I left the "office" at 5:30 got in my car (3.0 Omega) managed to get out of the car park OK, but once I was on a side road I got "stuck" but somehow managed to park it up. At this point the roads are completely gridlocked - I've never seen it so bad.

I thought - "Ok, no big deal, I'll get the train to Watford". Left my valuables from the car, with in the client's office overnight and walked to Wembley Central stn(Bakerloo & BR) about 3/4 mile away, time 6:15pm, to hear that there were no Northbound trains past Harrow! Alright, I thought, there's always Wembley Park (Met line), walked there (2 miles), time 7:00pm to hear that there were no trains past Preston Road!

Now this is turning into a proper nightmare, walked back to the car and thought I'll give it one more go and if it doesn't work, I'm going to have to book in to the Wembley Plaza tonight.

Managed to unstuck the car and join the virtually static traffic at almost 8:00pm. Moved about 1 mile in the next one and a half hours and finally gave up when the double decker about 6 cars in front, on an incline, did a piruette and ended up faced us.

To say I'm not in a good mood is an understatement of gargantuan proportions but at least I'm in my room it's 9:30 and I'm looking forward to a soak in the bath. I've had a chat with my wife earlier and said "goodnight" to my daughters, so I'm starting to feel better.

There is no real reason or point to my post, I needed to get it off my chest....

Goodnight,

Chad.R

p.s. should have added that the bus actually managed to mount the kerb and block the road too!>> I've been working at a client site in Wembley, Middx today;
Moved about 1 mile in the next one
and a half hours and finally gave up when the double
decker about 6 cars in front, on an incline, did a
piruette and ended up faced us.

Chad.R
The snow circus comes to town - Martin Devon
Walk to the nearest pub and contemplate!

Regards.
The snow circus comes to town - Bromptonaut
no Northbound trains past Harrow!>> to my daughters, so I'm starting to feel better.

Silverlink's (lack of) communication skills strikes again. The DC ie third rail trains were not running beyond Harrow, but unless things got markedly worse after I left euston at 17:20 the AC service on the main line was OK.
Simon,

When I first got to Wembley Central just after 6pm, they said that the AC trains where going upto Watford and I'd have to wait about 30 mins, after about 20 thought they said that ALL trains where not going beyond Harrow & Wealdstone.

Chad.R
I chickened out on taking the motorbike home 40 miles when I looked out of the office in central London at about 4.45 and found the snow settling.
Eventually left about 5.45 and got to Gt. Portland St. to find the ticket office closed due to "staff shortages" (surely all the Central Line staff must be sitting around?) so had to fish for change for the ticket machine to get to Liverpool St.

No underground trains were stopping at Kings Cross (reason unknown).

At Liverpool Street had to queue up for a main line ticket so missed the 6.20 and got on the 6.32.

To Chelmsford at 7.15 (only about 10 minutes late so not too bad).
SHMBO insisted on picking me up rather than me waiting for a bus, but by this time the snow was really coming down so had a 5 minute wait as it took her longer to get there.
The normal 10 minute 2 1/2 mile drive home took half an hour at no more than 15 mph max, so got home at 7.55.

After the computer crashing today and losing two files it was the perfect end to a perfect day - NOT. It had taken nearly 2 hours to get in this morning due to, I suspect, the timing on a particular set of traffic lights being "adjusted".

I'll see what it's like in the morning but am tempted to take a day's holiday!
Brian
Still learning (I hope)
The snow circus comes to town - Dave_TD
(sigh)

I've only just got in, worn out by it all.

Highlights include:

Bedford to Heathrow 6 hours
Heathrow to Bedford 3 1/3 hours
(both using every taxi driver & courier trick, short cut etc in the book)

Nearly getting stuck in a snowdrift on the B660 at 3am

One of our drivers going from Bedford to Cambridge and back in 7 hours

Another doing Bedford to Letchworth in 4 hours, then 3 hours back

My dad ringing me at 6.15pm to say he was in a queue 1 mile short of M1 northbound J10
My dad ringing me at 10pm to say he'd just got off the M1 at J10

Listening to the local radio all evening, with others phoning in with worse tales than mine

Time for bed now, going to make SWMBO breakfast first (Her alarm goes off in 7 minutes!)

Dave TD.
Interesting to read everyone's comments and experiences!
Seems that the general concensus is that:
- massive investment in hi-tech solutions isn't justified because the problem only occurs sporadically in the UK;
- therefore, stick with low-tech solutions (timely gritting, provision of stocks of grit/salt in bins, etc.);
- drivers should be better prepared, know their limitations, and if there is no option but to drive, be better trained in their driving techniques in response to the problem.
Oz (as was)
The snow circus comes to town - No Do$h
For £35 you can have a set of snow chains in your boot that will help in most UK snowfall. Trouble is, you are reliant on others taking the same approach, otherwise your journey will still be blocked by spun range-rovers and ditched scoobies.

Grrrr.

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Anybody know what the M1 is like right now ? I have to drive down to Watford.
The snow circus comes to town - smokie
See www.vauxhall.com/trafficnet/ - it looks slowish dahn sarf (12 down to 9 particularly)
Ta ever so.
The snow circus comes to town - smokie
Weird, now it's updated it is suddenly clear. It was showing 5 mph.
OK so it snows in the UK once or twice a year (excluding northern Scotland and higher ground) and this makes it uneconomic to have fleets of snow ploughs.

However as this happens every year isn't it irresponsible of drivers not to be prepared. Sure the drivers on the M11 are unlucky but shouldn't all drivers in this weather take some food/water with them as well as a blanket in case of a breakdown etc..

Also what about snow chains? I happen to have a pair (for use going skiing) but I put them in the car in this country when I know I am driving away from home and that snow is forecasted. Also why don't we (me included) change tyres when it comes to winter?
The snow circus comes to town - Flat in Fifth
Just in UK for a week between spells in the frozen wastes of Scandinavia. (-20 next week)

Have to confess a certain Growler-esque amusement at the pathetic behaviour of UK motorists and authorities.

OK so folks would object to the level of investment needed to deal with even this mild level of winter weather but Britain really is the engineer of its own problems here.

Only major and bus routes are cleared and gritted these days. These are already almost at capacity traffic wise so when an extra volume flows onto these routes, especially of ill prepared motorists, then the councils can't get to clear & grit even the major routes, the snow is compounded down to ice and you get what happened.

And as for motorists being so ill prepared as to run out of fuel on such as the M11. Words almost fail me.

My car uses a max of about one fifth of a gallon per hour when idling. Therefore for a twelve hour delay to cause me to run out (theoretically) would have had to set off knowing that during the journey the low fuel light would come on. I wouldn't do that in summer let alone in conditions forecast since last weekend.

It will be interesting if the global warming theorists are wrong and we really are heading into another mini ice age.

Anyone want any spiked tyres, can I do any deals? hur hur

In a large 4WD and having lived in snowy places, I am better prepared than most for the conditions, but a number of things amaze me;

Someone tell 4WD owners that the car may accelerate better than 2WD due to its extra grip, but it sure as $%&@ doesn't stop any faster and given its weight, it can take a loooong time to stop, and they ain't that great around corners when its icy, either.

Someone tell the idiots on the M1 that tailgating at 80mph is stupid in good conditions, but is insane in weather like it was yesterday.

Someone tell the other idiots on the M1 that 5mph on a motorway is $%&* dangerous as well.

There's nothing wrong with the condition of the roads here, not to say that they are perfect in the snow, but the main roads are perfectly drivable. The issue is the standard of driving. Goodness only knows what would happen if these people had to deal with real quantities of snow.
The snow circus comes to town - Dave_TD
Absolutely spot on Mark, when I got onto the M1 at Brent Cross at about 1.30am, the cars in lane 3 were doing 35mph, the cars in lane 2 were doing 30mph, and there weren't any cars in lane 1! This could well have been because nobody had the guts to plough through the 3" high ridges of snow and salt between lanes. (The bottom 20 miles of the M1 had an almost uniform 1" thick layer of salt on it by that time!) I was quite safely changing lanes where necessary, crossing these ridges of snow/salt at 40 mph with no effect on my speed, direction or stability.
A lot of people were phoning the radio station to complain that
a) They'd been stuck in a jam for 12 hours
b) They hadn't seen any gritting lorries drive past!
It's about time someone explained to these motorists that gritting a road on its own won't magically make all the snow go away, it needs passing traffic afterwards to work on it. I'm glad to have done my bit in ensuring the M1 was usable by the rush hour this morning! ;-)
The snow circus comes to town - peterb
"The issue is the standard of driving."

Agree completely. I was on the M25 early Friday am. Two lanes had been treated and had with a lowish temporary limit (30mph?). The outside lane was untreated (it was -2C outside) but there were still fools doing 50-60 mph....

Peter

BTW the adverts for the X-type don't help. It may have 4WD but driving at speed on snow is rarely a good idea.
Whenever snow strikes, the standard of driving always looks inept. In case it makes you all feel better, I can state that during the few years I lived in the Canadian prairies (a long time ago now) the same thing happened every Oct/Nov with the first snowfall - small shunts until everyone remembered what to do. Problem here is that the majority have never learnt, so can't remember.

By the way, can't see what you're all on about - glorious sunshine in Cheshire and not a flake to be seen!
The snow circus comes to town - Mondaywoe
I have a set of chains in the garage which I bought for my Renault 18 back in the mid 80s. They are the proper Renault item specifically to suit that model. I didn't use them much because they were a major hassle to fit on a snowy surface and incredibly hard on the drive train of the car if driven on any stretch of tarmac.(Catch 22!)

When I did use them they were pretty effective, mind you - until I once saddled them up about 3 miles from home one day. I rumbled on manfully for about 2 miles and the snow was getting deeper and deeper (2 - 3 ft drifts) Still the R18 clawed itself through until eventually it hit a really deep one! It crawled right over the top of it and did a belly flop on top with wheels spinning away in mid air at the front!

That, sadly, is not the end of the story! I walked the last mile in a raging blizzard and found a neighbour with a tractor. We set off to retrieve the car and tied a rope through the front towing eye. (No, I know better now!) I got into the car, the tractor revved up and took off merrily down the hill - with my front bumper twisted around like a sardine tin trailing along behind!

I changed the car soon after and subsequent cars have not had the same size tyres, so have been afraid to use them. Bear in mind that if a chain snaps or comes loose it could do lots of damage!

Graeme
The snow circus comes to town - THe Growler
When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were talking about New Labour getting elected.
The snow circus comes to town - THe Growler
Oh Lor' here comes another from Growler's History of Motoring Through The Ages.

These posts put me in mind of New Year's 1963 when there were record snowfalls across the country and much of it ground to a halt. Of course only about 3 of you are old enough to remember that. At that time I had no car, my old Chevy having bitten the dust a week prior. My mate Neil and I were invited to a bit of a do in Pinner by our then young lady friends. The Red Lion I think it was. Well to gloss over all the details we were neither of us fit to drive, heavy snow had begun to fall and Penny and Judy suggested we go back to P's place and sleep over. This offer was gladly accepted. Having got there the girls cranked up a glorious log fire, made coffee and we watched That Was The Week That Was. Millicent Martin where are you now?

About 12 mn Penny's parents call to say we're stuck up here in Caterham we simply can't get back with this heavy snow.

I do not need to spell out the rest. Of my many passages to manhood I remember this the most fondly. We literally couldn't get out of the house for 2 days. But we paid for our pleasures:
a Ford Popular 103E with all the core plugs popped out. Neil: yeah sorry but I forgot about the anti-freeze.....

The snow circus comes to town - bazza
Great story Growler! Maybe some present-day types should just slow down and chill, it might help! By the way that winter of'63 is one of my earliest recollections!

<<<
Here in Wales I turned the TV on last night to see what all the fuss is about - snow? I could see about 3 inches or so! Looking forward to when we get some REAL snow.....!

BAz
The snow circus comes to town - wemyss
Remember it well growler. The worst winter since 1947.
Thousands of HGVs stuck at the side of the road with the diesel waxed up. Many with fires burning underneath the fuel tanks. The remedy was for a garage to get out to them and get paraffin into the tank. The following year the fuel suppliers introduced winter and summer fuel.
My vivid memory of that winter was February when my wife was due for our first child to be born.
We lived in a small village in Derbyshire and in common with most small places all the roads were covered in about 6 inches of snow which was frozen solid.
The maternity home about 7 miles away had given instructions to ring in when the time came.
And of course the time had to be in the middle of the night around 3.00am.
In those days very few people had phones so it had to be a call box. Out into a searingly cold grey night to the village phone box. It?s door was frozen solid and Charles Atlas (remember him) couldn?t have opened it.
Then getting the wife into the old Moggy Minor ,clearing the ice off and pleading with it start. Which it thankfully did.
Trundling along at 20mph on the packed ice through countryside with huge icicles hanging from the trees. Finally the sheer relief of arriving and the Matron scolding me for not ringing to warn them and her staff competently taking control.
And it?s Alison?s 40th birthday on the 16th of this month and what a blessing she has been.
Alvin - I remember that winter of '63. I had passed my test the year before. Parts of SW Wales were snowbound for several weeks, and I recall going up the Wye Valley - A-road had one lane cleared in the middle. 10-foot ice floes going down the river. Today's lot have no idea what it's all about.

15ft snowdrift blocking Oxford Circus
Pack ice off Margate
Sheet ice stretched for 2.5miles out to sea from Herne Bay

etc

The snow circus comes to town - PhilW
Winter '63 - no school for weeks! Often fine and sunny but v.cold after initial snowfall, endless tobogganning, polishing sledge runners with all sorts of strange "wax" concoctions to get the last edge of speed over rivals and our own winter Olympics - great days!
The snow circus comes to town - chris p crisps ©
1963 snow, unable to get to school for fortnight til I mooved snow blockage and abandened council snow plough / gritter from lane( approx 1/4 mile) where we lived with JCB ,then school bus could get through.

chris
The snow circus comes to town - andymc {P}
Growler - AFAIK, Millicent Martin is the lady who now plays Daphne's mum in the sitcom Frasier.
The snow circus comes to town - Dynamic Dave
I mooved snow blockage ,then school bus could get through.

I bet you were popular with the kids!!
That reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer buys himself a snowplough (Mr Plow) clears the road to the school, and then Bart gets a volly of snowballs thrown at him by disgruntled kids in the playground.
Are snow chains an 'over the top' buy for the average UK driver who seldom drives in snow, lives in a normally accessible location, and doesn't drive away on skiing holidays or to other snowbound destinations?
Clearly they have to come off again as soon as you're on tarmac otherwise might damage the road, not to mention the car itself.
Oz (as was)
>>Are snow chains an 'over the top' buy.................?

I would have thought so. BTW, in the US I always used these things called wires. Rather than actual chaines it was a web of thick wires that fitted over the tyre - still not good on tarmac, but ok for brief moments.

Frankly I have never used chains/wires unless I am driving on a surface which is solely compacted snow. I don't think they'd be much cop for the loose snow we have here, and you'd be forever putting them on and off.

Just drive carefully.

M.
Thanks Mark - I'm always keen to buy extra bits of kit but this was the conclusion I was coming to.
Oz (as was)
and by the way, they are incredibly unpleasant to drive with unless you are on quite thick, soft snow.
I can well imagine. Might be a cure for certain metabolic disorders though (or the cause of others) ... ;-)
Oz (as was)