Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - Judesman

In the What's Good section of the Golf MkVII Estate review under trim levels there is a reference to "......a leather trimmed handbrake grip". Does this mean that the new estate does NOT have an electronic parking brake? This is the one feature that puts me off buying this car. I am too old to cope with change or am I fussing about nothing?

Edited by Judesman on 08/07/2013 at 08:08

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - gordonbennet

You're never too old to adapt, but why should you.

Just because a maker decides that from now on their cars will have a toy too many doesn't mean we have to lump it and accept it, nodding sagely that they know whats best for us...absolute arrogance, we are the customer but they decide what we shall have, not on your nelly.

In practice auto parking brakes work quite well, very useful for people who can't manage clutch control, hill starts etc.

I don't want electric parking brakes partly because if i choose a manual car its because i want to drive it, and i will have chosen the manual version for a reason, usually simplicity and cost to buy run and maintain, putting a EPB system that has proved not particularly reliable and expensive to repair once (only 3 year in VW's case) warranty expires is not what i would have bought the car for in the first place.

If i have an auto box it will be a proper preferably torque converter auto (or good CVT) not one of Satans designs, with a good auto box adequate creep means the parking brake will only get used when i actually park the car, at all other times even on the steepest hills said creep will take care of any tendency to roll back, so again an EPB not required or wanted...thats quite apart from smooth driving pleasure and infinite low speed control that real auto boxes offer and new kids on the block don't.

If you don't want an EPB Judesman don't have one, there's lots of alternative very good modern estates to choose from the usual makes, but you could do worse than have a butchers at Toyotas latest Auris estate, that has a real handbrake in the usual place, you might find the dealers a breath of fresh air too.

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - skidpan

Just swapped motors and the Golf Mk7 was one that we looked at. The hatch definitely had an electric handbrake.

In the past VW have simply tack welded a new front end onto the old model to create the new estate (and convertible), if they have done this again the Mk 7 could well have the mk 6 mechanical handbrake.

We bought a new model Seat Leon which is a Mk 7 Golf in a different frock. Luckily Seat have chosen to keep the mechanical handbrake.

Thank you for your input. I will have a look at the Toyota but I have had Golf Estates for 12 years and have been very happy with them. Certainly the hatch has an electronic parking brake but this site suggests that the estate brake might be mechanical. I might phone the local dealer but they told me that the new Golf had a chain cam engine when it seems that it has a belt cam engine. Perhaps I should Ask HJ as presumably he wrote the review and he has certainly driven this estate.

Edited by Judesman on 08/07/2013 at 10:40

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - oldgit

My current Golf MK6 has a 'proper' handbrake. I have had it for four years this month and am thinking of replacing it later this year. Unfortunately VW, in their misplaced wisdom, have opted for the e-brake and hill-hold for their MK7 hatchback and also a lot of other unwanted gizmos (in my opinion) and also have re-designed the car completely giving it a lower rooflne and a noticeable reduction in headroom compared with my car.

I am so disappointed that I am now looking at other makes and although I didn't like the latest Ford Focus when it first came out, am warming to it now, providing I go for the Titanium model as this doesn't have the awful centre radio system reminiscent of an old mobile phone keyboard. This car does have a handbrake and one can specify whether one wants a load of unnecessary gizmos or not.

Shame on VW/Audi for imposing their ebrakes on the publice with the excuse that is frees up more space in the centre console for storing water bottles!!!!!!!!!!

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - Happy Blue!

Sorry all you old fuddy duddies. I have had EPB for over three years and I love it; and miss it when I rent a hire car. I mainly use it when I am at traffic lights. I keep the car in D, pull the switch and the brake holds the car without needing to keep the foot on the pedal or strain my arm pulling up the lever withthe torque of the engine straining against the pads. When the lights go green simply squeeze the throttle and away we do. Nice and easy.

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - oldgit

Sorry all you old fuddy duddies. I have had EPB...etc......... etche pedal or strain my arm pulling up the lever withthe torque of the engine straining against the pads. When the lights go green simply squeeze the throttle and away we do. Nice and easy.

Well with the VW you just apply the footbrake and Autohold will keep it stationary without pulling up any switch or knob. Anyway, again you're talking about its use with an automatic or DSG gearbox which is quite a different matter. With a manual, on a hill, you'd just rely on Autohold holding the car and the idea is it detects when you release the clutch/apply accelerator, to release the line pressure so that you can pull away - it must be able to distinguish between the severity of different inclines.

Anyway completely unnecessary and an added expense should the rear discs need attention and the whole thing will need to be set up by a skilful and careful mechanic and his wretched computer.

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - unthrottled

strain my arm pulling up the lever withthe torque of the engine straining against the pads

Has anyone ever 'strained their arm' operating the handbrake? I can see the merits of electric handbrakes, but this is over-egging the pudding!

The engine shouldn't be 'straining against the pads' unless you lack even rudimentary finesse with the throttle.

Not everyone who is uneasy about the demise of the manual handbrake is a luddite. Often you want to roll backwards slightly-say if you are attempting to emerge from a junction with poor visibility. Also, the handbrake provides a form of emergency braking in the event of servo/hydraulic system failure. The handbrake is an effective means of securing a vehicle that is completely independant of the electrical system of the vehicle so a vehicle with a flat battery can be secured or released. Try that with your EPB thingy.

I'll keep straining my arm for as long as I can.

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - Ed V

Electronic parking brakes can also be released manually, not only by applying pressure to the throttle!! It really is very easy and pretty fool proof I'd say.

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - unthrottled

Electronic parking brakes can also be released manually,

Assuming that you can gain access to the rear of the vehicle to insert the unwinding tool. Compared to rocking the car with the clutch to free off a stuck conventional handbrake it's a PITA.

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - Ed V

I meant manually, in the same electronic fashion as it's released, that is, with one finger pulling up or pushing down, that's all!

Golf Mk VII Estate - Golf MkVII Estate - Handbrake? - Avant

I thought this warranted a little research, and I've looked on the VW website. Pictures of the inside of a Golf estate show that it has an EPB, unfortunately but not surprisingly as the front part of the interior is liely to be the same as in the hatch.

The good news is that you don't have to put up with an EPB if you don't want to: the mechanically identical Skoda Octavia estate comes with a proper handbrake.

I've always thought that the EPB is the answer to a problem nobody had, although you can get used to it as Happy Blue and others have. On a test drive of a Golf GTI I surprised myself by finding it easy to live with, in that it came on when the car stopped and released itself when it started moving. Strangely, I also tried an Audi A3 and here you had to put the EPB on manually.

Thank you for all your contributions. Yes, it is quite clear that the new estate has an EPB so mention of a leather trimmed handbrake grip is a bit misleading. I think I will have a test drive of the Mk VII hatch and see how I get on with this new fangled device! Many thanks to all.