Accident ? - hillman

We had a freak hailstorm close to Macclesfield yesterday about noon. For more than a 100yd stretch the hail carpeted the road with a layer more than an inch thick - akin to a layer of icy marbles. The driver of a car neglected to slow down according to the conditions, and when he braked for the island the car skidded, mounted the central reserve and collided with a sign post. The sign post was still straight but the shallow concrete base was almost out of the ground, leaving the post about 30 degrees out of vertical.

When we arrived the driver had got the car back on the road and was examining the damage. From the side the debris beneath the car made it look as though the car was on top of a bush. When we returned about 15 mins later the car was gone. I wonder if the driver reported the incident.

Accident ? - Bromptonaut

We had a similar experience in France nine or ten years ago.

Coming out of Clermont Ferrand on the N89 an 'orage' which radio had been telling us for miles were prevalent in the Massif hit. Hailstones the size of peanuts. Got as far as the top of the Col de Ventouse then 'hove to' for storm to pass before tackling the narrow and twisting Col de Guery.

Storm gave way to bright sunlight and we drove off v cautiously on a road covered in similar surface to that reported by OP. Approaching a right hand bend a BMW 3 series coming the other way turned a pirrouette on front of us. Everything went SloMo!! I was convinced he was going to hit is either broadside on at the front or by scraping down the passenger side. Fortunately momentum took him away and onto the verge. I still have a mental image of the driver with his mouth wide open - gobsmacked!!

He was obviuosly unhurt apart from pride and the possible stain on his seat so we didn't stop.

I hpe he learned his lesson

Accident ? - Hamsafar

"I wonder if the driver reported the incident."

I wouldn't.

We pay enough motoring taxes, and all they'll do is hammer your insurance to the level of a crash for cash whiplash as you will see in media reports. They claim for all kinds of extra damage, cleanups, closures that never happened. This is because of all the subcontracting and outsourcing. Gone are the days of giving some council bod £50 to reseat the post.

Edited by Hamsafar on 14/05/2013 at 14:29