Revoked licence - insurance - ati

Hi all,

I've been involved in an accident 2 days ago. When the police took my details they have found out that my driving licence has been revoked 7 years ago, of which I obviously didn't know.

I've contacted the DVLA and I was told that indeed, it's been revoked. I didn't know that I need to report my change of address and send back my old driving licence to get a new one with the updated address, all I knew is that it will be valid till 2021. (My driving licence still had the first address I lived at when I got my British licence and I've moved 2 times since then).

The accident I was involved in was my fault, (thank god no one got hurt), but now the police has taken away my licence and told me that this also makes my insurance invalid.

I've also got a ticket for driving without a valid driving licence, just waiting for the ticket office to get in touch with me.

I honestly don't know how is this even possible as -for example- I've had a driving offence last year (driving 47mph on a 40mph limit road) and the DVLA sent the letter to my recent address asking for identifying the driver of which I've replied to and then took the driver awareness course, I was also stopped by the police 2-3 times in the past 7 years for routine checks where they have checked my licence, no one said a word about my licence being revoked. Also had 2 cars in the past 7 years and changed insurance companies almost every year to get a better deal.

Does anyone know what can do in this case? I am really nervous and frustrated as obviously I wasn't aware of the whole thing.

Please help me, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Revoked licence - insurance - Cris_on_the_gas

Simply put your story does not add up. If your licence had been checked and you have committed a driving offence since you claim your licence to have been revoked that would have come to light earlier.

Not withstanding any of this your insurance is valid and the company will pay out for any injury or damage to a third party. Look at your certificate of insurance. It most likely states that the policy holder holds a licence or not disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence.

Revoked licence - insurance - Gibbo_Wirral

I didn't know that I need to report my change of address and send back my old driving licence to get a new one with the updated address,

That's a poor excuse. Anything containing your name and address needs to be kept up to date. It doesn't cost anything and takes just moments online.

Revoked licence - insurance - Dag Hammar

I am deeply suspicious of the sincerity of both this subject and the OP of this thread, ati.
Far too similar to another suspect thread posted by ajs117 who wants a fast car but has poor eyesight !

Revoked licence - insurance - Bromptonaut

ati, Did DVLA explain why your licence was revoked?

Speculating on possible reasons:

It may have been for medical condition,

Another possibility is that it wasn't surrendered following conviction and points.

The OP implies they were not UK born. Might their immigration status might have been questioned?

As part of Mrs May's 'hostile environment' efforts were made to remove driving licences where the holder's immigration status might have been irregular. To that end Home Office Immigration staff were 'embedded' in DVLA to identify and investigate people suspected of being (eg) visa overstayers who had obtained a licence. Many licenses were revoked.

They may well have succeeded in identifying and revoking licences of thousands who were irregular. Unfortunately, it's also likely that other people who were here legitimately but, as with the Windrush cases, didn't have evidence of their right to be here, were swept up.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/01/2020 at 13:29

Revoked licence - insurance - Engineer Andy

Didn't the OP say it was revoked because they moved and did not send the old one back to get it updated - maybe there's a grace period when this can be done but afterwards, it automatically gets cancelled once they know you've moved (possibly because their passport was updated).

As regards you political comments - now, now, behave. ;-) If someone does indeed overstay their visa period etc, then certain measures should be taken, although you'd have thought they would've been informed by now, given the OP presumably has a job, NI number and thus HMG knows where they live.

Note also that if the OP has moved (and more than once) and has not told the DVLA or other bodies (or their insurer) that they have, then they may well have accrued sufficient points on their licence for it to be revoked but perhaps the letters saying so went to their old address?

Some people (not accusing the OP here, just stating a fact) also deliberately keep their old address (sometimes their parental home or ex-partner) for their car/insurance etc because their new one is either not legal (e.g. someone sub-letting [a neighbour to me is doing this]) or wants to keep their insurance down.

Or, of course, it could be a 'clerical error' (well, computer system), which obviously can be a reasonable course to look at. I still think the best course of action is to formally ask the DVLA why the licence was originally revoked and to provide evidence. Unfortunately, as the OP has moved more than once without updating their licence, this could prove cruitial, even if a mistake of some sort at the other end.

Didn't the OP say it was revoked because they moved and did not send the old one back to get it updated - maybe there's a grace period when this can be done but afterwards, it automatically gets cancelled once they know you've moved (possibly because their passport was updated).

I don't think the wrong address in and of itself would lead to revocation; how would the DVLA know if they'd not been told. My son's car, and possibly his driving licence still show my address. Not worth changing it every few months while he was a student etc and moving around. Everything, including his regular PCNs from Merseyflow arrive at home and I forward them.

It's clear OP failed to update. He says he didn't know he needed to; other interpretations are available. My suggestions were just speculation.

I've no issue with 'illegals' being moved on provided proper process is followed to ensure they're not deported to danger.

The point about Windrush is that those folks, most my sort of age (55+) and who arrived here in their infancy, had every right to be here. They were grievously mistreated and even now have not had their status properly recorded nor been compensated for the indignities to which they were exposed. Entirely possible for OP to have been caught, subsequently established his bona fides but for action to be taken against him in the interim.

I doubt he will come back though.

Revoked licence - insurance - HGV ~ P Valentine

I have to say I agree with what has already been posted and do not believe this story, but I will comment on what has been said, I also do not believe that over 7 years all these checks have been made and no one picked up on the fact the address was not the right one.

www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/842830/UK-drivin...A

it is true that there are lots of people with the wrong address on their license, and for all sorts of reasons of which the most common is as suggested to keep the insurance cost down, for example if you live in Stonebridge ( drug capitol of Wembley ) then your insurance will cost a lot more then at my mothers place ( a village in the middle of nowhere ), and my brother moved to an address only 10 streets away but his insurance went up by £ 100.

Anyway the driving license is accepted as a proof of address so common sense should tell you that as much as possible it is important the address is right, but having said that I can understand why people use the address of relatives, I myself have done that.

D.V.L.A. Do make mistakes but, not repeatedly over 7 years, and their system failure which can be exploited is they make no real checks to update their information, relying on the honesty of the people.

POLICE : I did read that if they catch you without insurance they can arrest you immediately, but they hardly ever do ( seen police camera action etc ), choosing to just take the car and leave you to find your own way home, and again they rely 200% on the information held by DVLA. I do not however believe that you got stopped twice and they did not pick up on your license being revoked.

Address : It is my believe as suggested that the letters went to your old address, and when DVLA got no response revoked your license as it was clear that you where no longer living there, if you are going to use a diff address make sure you have access to the letterbox.

Speed awareness course : I have been on 1 of them which cost the same as fine but it keeps your licence clean, it was as I remember it very over bearing with the people telling us if we left or got booted for any reason we would have to accept the 3 pts etc, the only id they asked for was the driving licence and nothing else. So again it goes back to DVLA and I do not see how if they had your licence revoked they would not have picked that up.

Revoked licence - insurance - HGV ~ P Valentine

PS lets keep politics out of it, DVLA is not a political party.

PS lets keep politics out of it, DVLA is not a political party.

If that's aimed at my reference to immigration status then you're barking up the wrong tree.

FACT: The government pursued a policy which they called 'hostile environment' to make life difficult for overstayers etc.

FACT: As part of that exercise Home Office immigration staff were embedded in DVLA to deal with licences held by people with suspect immigration status.

FACT: People who had every right to be here were caught in the dragnet (qv Windrush).

Second and/or third of those may explain why OP's licence was revoked (though I think failure to surrender for points is more likely)

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/01/2020 at 14:21