Careless or what? - Gerry Sanderson
So we have a 97 yr old driving out of a drive onto a main road and hits
A car on the main road
Driver subject to eyesight test?
Possible charge of s section 3 due care?
Ummmmmmm
Careless or what? - paul 1963

I suspect the other party will be paid handsomely to be very very quiet about the whole episode ............

Careless or what? - RT
So we have a 97 yr old driving out of a drive onto a main road and hits A car on the main road Driver subject to eyesight test? Possible charge of s section 3 due care? Ummmmmmm

Do we know yet who's fault the accident was?

Too many anecdotal descriptions of the accident to form a conclusion yet.

Careless or what? - Palcouk

An individual drove out of a side road/lane and was tee boned by a car driving on the main carrigeway

A speed limit of 60mph on the main carriageway

No anecdotal descriptions neccessary the pics show it all.

Careless or what? - HGV ~ P Valentine

when you drive onto a main road, from a drive all traffic has right of way, its a slam dunk guys.

Careless or what? - focussed
So we have a 97 yr old driving out of a drive onto a main road and hits A car on the main road Driver subject to eyesight test? Possible charge of s section 3 due care? Ummmmmmm

It could happen to you, me or anybody else at any time regardless of age.

Careless or what? - Bromptonaut

It could happen to you, me or anybody else at any time regardless of age.

Pretty much my view. The reported broken arm probably counts as a serious injury but in reality is likely to repair as nature intended. Exactly the sort of accident that would have been fatal 40 or 50 years ago but in modern crash worthy vehicles and with everybody belted in survivable without anyone's life being changed.

If eyesight or any other age related factor was responsible then presumably the investigation will discover this. Should such a thing be established he might avoid his wife prosecuting him by voluntarily surrendering his licence, as might anyone else of his age in a similar accident.

OTOH any of us, at any age, can have a moments inattention or 'look but not see'. The latter phenomenon is in part down to how our eyes work and is why it's a good idea to move your head about and scan the view properly.

Careless or what? - Engineer Andy

I wonder how many non-OAPs get hit in that way because they were mucking around with or on their mobile phone/sat nav etc?

Careless or what? - Brit_in_Germany

The junction design also appears to be particularly poor. The side road joins at an angle so the driver is required to look over their shoulder which might cause difficulties for people with restricted neck movement.

Careless or what? - concrete

Junctions where the angle is not 90 to the other road cause a major problem. Several around here and I approach with caution. Doesn't matter who has the right of way when you're dead!

I suppose the problem is HRH is quite an independent sort and quite forceful too. Who will put it to him that he may need to cease from driving himself? He always seems fairly alert and this incident may well have happened to anyone but I think he needs to think about this now.

At least there were no serious injuries.

Cheers Concrete

Careless or what? - HGV ~ P Valentine

who will put it to him, maybe th eparent of a child he will end up killing one day !

Careless or what? - Leif
It took me ages to realise who you were talking about. It’s hard to know what happened. He says he was blinded by the sun. In that case should he have pulled out? As to age, well he has the best doctors on call, so I suspect he is pretty healthy, and has decent eyesight. I was reversed into a few weeks back. The driver was ~20 years old. Obviously too old to drive ...