My son had an accident four months ago - can the insurer insist he still pays the premium for the next eight months?

My son had an accident four months ago and the insurance broker is really messing him about. When he had the accident, the insurance broker said they would not pay for recovery or storage, so my son organised himself. It cost him £1000 and the broker then said they would have recovered the car. However, he cant claim the money back. They are now saying he will have to keep paying his premium until January 2019 if he wants the claim to be sorted. What should we do?

Asked on 29 March 2018 by Eddie H

Firstly, stop dealing with the broker, deal directly with the insurer. If your son had paid for the recovery and storage himself, the insurer will reimburse him (as long as he has not left it in storage for ages). You pay for a policy, which covers you for 12 months. So, if your son is paying monthly, he will need to pay for the full premium. Alternatively, if the vehicle is a total loss, then the insurer would deduct the remaining premium from the settlement.