My son had an accident four months ago - can the insurer insist he still pays the premium for the next eight months?

My son had an accident four months ago and the insurance broker is really messing him about. When he had the accident, the insurance broker said they would not pay for recovery or storage, so my son organised himself. It cost him £1000 and the broker then said they would have recovered the car. However, he cant claim the money back. They are now saying he will have to keep paying his premium until January 2019 if he wants the claim to be sorted. What should we do?

Asked on 29 March 2018 by Eddie H

Answered by Tim Kelly
Firstly, stop dealing with the broker, deal directly with the insurer. If your son had paid for the recovery and storage himself, the insurer will reimburse him (as long as he has not left it in storage for ages). You pay for a policy, which covers you for 12 months. So, if your son is paying monthly, he will need to pay for the full premium. Alternatively, if the vehicle is a total loss, then the insurer would deduct the remaining premium from the settlement.
Similar questions
My car was involved in an accident last week. It was being driven by a valet parking driver (driving towards Gatwick to meet us at the airport). My car has been written off and two other cars have been...
I was recently involved in an accident, with minor damage to both vehicles. As the car I bumped was in front of me, going round a big roundabout (French driver was lost and suddenly stopped in the traffic),...
I misunderstood that when getting learner insurance I needed to declare a motorbike crash. Now my insurance is void. Does this void insurance follow over to new the insurance company or is it just for...

Ask Honest John

Value my car