We bought an electric car but it doesn't have the range that was promised - can we reject it?

My niece traded in a diesel 2013 Audi A1 for £6600 against a 2015 Nissan Leaf on PCP a week ago. This was on the basis that the Leaf would perform at least 70 to 80 miles driving. The car is supplied through a Nissan Dealer and the battery is showing as 12 bars, but she has had the battery nearly die at around 45 miles. She wants her old car back. They say they will sell to her for £8000 as they have serviced it and refurbished the alloy wheels plus are telling her that the Leaf is on finance and so not their problem. Please could you advise on how to proceed going forward.

Dominic Tattersall

Asked on 19 December 2017 by Dominic Tattersall

That's fair enough. If they have refurbished her A1 then £8000 for it is fair. But if they sold her the Leaf on a PCP and the Leaf is "not of satisfactory quality" because its range is a mere 45 miles rather than the promised 70 to 80 miles then she can reject it to the selling dealer and the finance house jointly. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights /