My car slid on ice on private property that wasn't gritted and damaged a gate - should I have to pay for the damage?

I was leaving a business park on Friday morning when my car slid on black ice and hit the entrance gate. My car is damaged and the owner of the business park wants me to pay for damage to the gate. The private property wasn't gritted. What are my rights and how should I best handle this? I'm claiming on my insurance for my car repairs.

Asked on 5 December 2017 by Karen

Answered by Tim Kelly
It's your fault. You should have taken due care in your driving. Give the gate owner your insurance company details, and your insurer will take care of the cost of repair to the gate.
Similar questions
My friend's 21 year old son had a car accident on the ice last week. His car (a cheap old thing) was a write off, but no one else was involved. The AA driver who came to recover the car advised him not...
Does parking in a close with five designated parking spots count as driveway parking?
Yesterday we received a delivery from Currys. The van driver parked his van close to my wife's car which was parked on private property, i.e. the tarmac frontage to our house. Unfortunately, one of the...

Ask Honest John

Value my car