My husband and I have almost identical policies - so why is his insurance premium so much higher?

My husband and I both drive the same car, a 2004 Nissan Almera. We both live at the same address and are both 33. My husband has eight years no claims, while I only have three years. No matter how much we search, his insurance is double what mine is. Shouldn't it be the other way round? Why is the price so high?

Asked on 21 November 2017 by Lucy

Your guess is a good as mine, this is the issue with the opaque nature in which insurers operate. EU law changed they way insurers operate due to the Equalities Act, so they can't positively discriminate based gender like they used to, i.e. women being deemed to be less risk. If anything, as you have mentioned, your premium should be higher. Does your husband have any claims or convictions in the last five years? It's either that or your husband's occupation. Try changing everything so it's identical.