If someone damages my car and their insurer pays for repairs - do I need to declare this to my own insurer?

If someone damages my car while it's in a car park (public/private) or on the public road and their insurance pays for the damage, do I need to declare this accident on my insurance renewal?

Asked on 24 July 2017 by gary

Answered by Tim Kelly
In short, if it has been subject to an insurance claim, yes you would. If the incident is on private property and is not subject to the Road Traffic Act, it comes under the law of tort. The means by which you recover your damages for that tort is up to you. If it is not subject to an insurance claim then you do not. If you have made an insurance claim via your own or their insurer then you do.
Similar questions
My car was subject to a very minor accident whilst parked car outside my home, whilst a third party was attempting to park. The damage was very minor (possibly none to theirs and a small mark on my bumper)...
Both doors were replaced on our 2013 Ford C Max and now the alarm keeps going off at night. We get error messages for child lock malfunction, service required, drivers back door open (then the door jams...
At a recent family reunion, my friend's partner backed into my car in torrential rain - before I'd even moved - causing serious damage to my car. He shot off at great speed, driving in a highly dangerous...

Ask Honest John

Value my car