If someone damages my car and their insurer pays for repairs - do I need to declare this to my own insurer?

If someone damages my car while it's in a car park (public/private) or on the public road and their insurance pays for the damage, do I need to declare this accident on my insurance renewal?

Asked on 24 July 2017 by gary

In short, if it has been subject to an insurance claim, yes you would. If the incident is on private property and is not subject to the Road Traffic Act, it comes under the law of tort. The means by which you recover your damages for that tort is up to you. If it is not subject to an insurance claim then you do not. If you have made an insurance claim via your own or their insurer then you do.