Could you suggest a powerful, practical, cheap to insure car?

I'm looking at buying a used car to replace my current 1.0-litre runaround as I crave a bit more power. I've been looking at a 1.4 Golf GT TSI, which costs around £2500. I don't have the money yet, but I will in a couple of months. I can only find a few advertised below £3000, which is my maximum budget. It costs £1300 a year to insure with one responsible additional driver, which is actually less than I paid for my current car for the first year. My main problem is that I can't find any cars with a 0-60 of between 7-8 seconds and a top speed of around 140 mph, as well as having a decent amount of equipment and being practical (five seats, decent boot). I would buy the Golf GT now in a heartbeat if I could, but it's looking highly likely all the good ones for low price will be sold by the time I get round to being able to afford it. Do you have any alternatives?

Avoid the model. Had the chain cam 1.4 TSI and if it's 140PS or more it had the unreliable Twincharger engine. That's why they are so cheap and why so few are for sale. Most of them have broken and weren't worth repairing. The VAG 1.8 20v 180PS engine fitted in the Audi TT, SEAT Leon 20VT and some later Golf GTI and Audi A3 are a better bet.