How do I go about selling the car of a friend who has passed away?

A family friend has died and has no living relative in this country. I will sell her car and send the proceeds to her daughter in Canada. How does this affect signing the log book since the owner is deceased?

Asked on 31 March 2017 by diddy11cg

Answered by Honest John
If you have the vehicle log book (V5C) Write a letter explaining your relationship to the person who died, the date they died and who should be paid any vehicle tax refund. Send the letter to the DVLA Sensitive Casework Team with the right part of the V5C:
Similar questions
I have sold my car last year in October and sent off the log book to the DVLA with new keepers details, unfortunately DVLA has never received the paper works (what they are saying). Approx. 4 weeks ago...
I am about to part-exchange my car for a new one with a main dealer. Wondering whether the motor trader may not want the car registered in his name (i.e. another owner) I rang DVLA to ask about the completion...
Your reader who was recently found liable for the fines of the driver of his previous car, even though he had written to the DVLA advising them of the sale, might find it useful to try the DVLA's website...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer