Are touchscreen systems just as distracting as using a mobile phone while driving?

As the law is now taking a tougher line with drivers using mobile phones while on the move, are the same sanctions being used with those who use in-car touchscreen features, as are being found in more and more new cars? Are they not potentially just as distracting as a mobile phone?

Asked on 29 March 2017 by Andrew Wright

More so, most especially when they don't work. That is extremely distracting. But because touchscreens actually control some of the basic functions of some cars they are simply being treated the same as control knobs.