What do I do if the dealer refuses to refund my deposit?

I've put £100 down for a car and was waiting for the decision of the finance company. I was refused by the finance company and now the dealer won't refund my money even though he wrote that the £100 was refundable. What can I do?

Asked on 11 February 2017 by Marcus

Normally a deposit would not be refundable because the whole point of it is to compensate the vendor if you fail to complete the deal. But if he wrote on the receipt that it was refundable if you couldn't get finance then he has to return it. You can go through Small Claims procedure to try to get it back without having to take the case all the way to court. See: www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview