A dealer is refusing to fix my faulty car - do I have to take him to court?

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I purchased from a dealer and after seven days it overheated, causing damage to the engine. He's refusing to do anything under the warranty he provided with the car or my rights under the 2015 Consumer Act. He s states that the car was checked before I had it therefore it's my problem and must be my fault it has gone wrong. The advice from the consumer helpline is that I should now take him to court to get my money back from him, something that I'm worried about whether I can afford.

Asked on 1 June 2017 by James Barrett

The law says otherwise. The dealer is liable for any fault that could have been present or developing on date of sale for 6 months from the date of sale: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/ If he won't accept your rejection of the vehicle take the matter to the County Court, and if you get a judgement in your favour, pay the £70 extra for a High Court Sheriffs enforcement order.