Why do MINI seem to depreciate at such a fast pace?

The motoring press keeps saying how MINI hold their value. I have a 2014 MINI Roadster JCW which is now worth only a third of its new price after just 2 years. I also checked a neighbours 2015 MINI Clubman whose value is about £10,000. It's frightening me away from MINI. They're nice cars but their value seems to fall like a stone.

Asked on 10 February 2017 by Driver55

If you can reasonably do so, I would advise you to hang on to that 2014/64 MINI Roadster JCW because it is the top model of a comparatively rare issue and is likely to achieve classic status in years to come. Do not let it go at this time for a third of the price you paid for it. The original MINI Clubman bombed in the market at first, then started doing a lot better and now has a following. There simply isn't another cute little station wagon. As usual the problem is paying too much in the first place for cars that can often be obtained at a 10% - 20% discount. You then take the biggest annual hit after 1 year, 2 years or 3 years; then, after that, the annual depreciation slows down and, if the car is the 'right model' its value can start creeping back up again.