Is buying another diesel estate a sound investment, considering future bans and expenses?

I've got an 8 year old Honda Accord EX i-DTEC 2.2 diesel estate which I like very much and is the third I've had over the last 20 years or so. I hear alarms about possible future penalties on diesel emissions and wonder if I should change now to petrol? I like Honda and I'm interested in a Honda CR-V, I would be very pleased to hear your views.

The main penalties of diesel to diesel owners are the high costs of maintaining and replacing the emissions equipment attached to them, such as EGRs and DPFs. Forthcoming bans from city centres, etc. are in addition to that. I would not buy a new diesel as a long-term purchase unless you will be doing 20,000 miles a year or more. No problem with a 3 year lease, or a 3 year PCP with a guaranteed future value because, unless you do a lot of short runs from cold starts, you are unlikely to have EGR or DPF problems within 3 years. The Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC is not really powerful enough, particularly the automatic. Better a hybrid, such as a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.