Best first car for a couple in their 20s?

My daughter and her husband are thinking of buying their first car. They are both in their late 20s. Unfortunately they are also saving up for the deposit on a house, so money is tight. My daughter's husband is six foot, six inches tall and may be cramped in a very small car but my daughter is still a novice driver and would prefer something small to get started with. What makes and models would give the best value? What would be the most economical way of funding it?

Small and tall, a Citroen C3 Picasso with the 1.2 Puretech engine. In their situation, probably best leased or on a PCP.