Need a used family car for £2k - any suggestions?

My friend bought a Honda Civic on your recommendation and has been very pleased with it. Now her husband's 1.5 diesel Renault Megane needs replacing with something of a similar size. He likes the economy and cheap road tax of the Megane, but only does 8000 miles a year so I'm guessing a petrol would be better unless he gets something without a DPF. He has around £2000 to spend and I've suggested a Ford Focus, Hyundai i30 or Kia Cee'd. Any thoughts?

Asked on 5 December 2016 by Matt

£2000 does't buy much anyway and most diesels for £2000 will be pre-DPF, but will be close to disaster anyway. i30 and Cee'd 1.4 and 1.4 petrols are low geared for the motorway, but generally okay. Obviously a Focus will be easier to get parts for. The best cars I can think of for £2000 are a 2004 Toyota Yaris 1.3 or, at the other end of the scale, the hugely underrated and unknown 2003-2005 Honda Civic 2.0 Type-S.