Long term ownership maintenance work - how does this sound?

Our Vauxhall Corsa D 1.2 petrol breeze is now over 8 years old (bought new in 2008) and has done 51k miles. It’s been an excellent car, and so far nothing has gone wrong (touch wood!) apart from a new heater resistor pack a couple of years ago. It’s been regularly serviced, (including an early oil change after running in), new front discs/pads and a battery last year. I did quite a high mileage in it for the first couple of years, then received a company car so it was passed onto my wife who only does 3k a year around town now. I changed the gearbox oil at 50k (bit messy as need to take diff sump plate off!), and plan to change the original coolant in the next few weeks, but I was wondering if there was anything else you’d recommend doing assuming we want to keep the car until it dies? Air conditioning (still original gas)? Timing chain and guides? Water pump? Any parts require greasing?

Asked on 17 November 2016 by prdisaac

You're pretty much doing the right things. But if that heater motor resistor pack failed because the motor has a problem, it will either fail again or, if it's been bodged, could start a fire.
Tags: