What's the best diesel for low mileage?

Having retired, I no longer do the miles I used to to justify a diesel. I'm probably down to 10,000, with a 70 mile round trip on motorways twice a month.

Technically, I'm into petrol territory now, but I do like the torque of a diesel and I suspect my current 2.0 diesel Audi Q3 will start suffering DPF issues soon. I believe that only those with manifold in head engines and close coupled DPFs are less likely to suffer issues. Which vehicles/manufacturers fit such diesels? Is the current 2.0 BMW diesel one of these?

Asked on 13 September 2016 by GJL

Almost all new diesel engines are manifold in head and it could be that your Q3 has the EA288 manifold in head 2.0 TDI that replaced the emissions problem EA189 2.0TDI. Ironically the EA288 has proved to be one of the genuinely lowest Nox engines in Europe. My current Honda HRV 1.7iDTEC isn't manifold in head but everything is close couples and in 13,000 miles it's been no trouble at all. However, if I was you, I'd get a test drive in a Suzuki Vitara S 1.4T Boosterjet which offers good performance, good economy and low emissions. If you don't give a damn about status, you should also try the Dacia Duster 1.2 TCe 125 and save a whole heap of money: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/suzuki/suzuki-vita.../ and www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/dacia/dacia-duster.../ The KIA Sportage 1.6T-GDI GT is also worth a look: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-sportage-2.../