Car failed MoT at one garage but passed at another?

My son's car failed its MoT at one garage who said it would cost between £500 and £1000 to pass. They asked for £60 for a full estimate. He took it somewhere else where it passed with no issues. How often are these garages checked?

Asked on 4 September 2016 by Peter German

Not routinely but if the DVSA receives reports of this sort of thing it runs a check on the MoT station. These are expensive to set up because it means using a car that is due for its MoT. The computer would tell an MoT station if the car had a current MoT or had recently been MoTd.
Tags: mot garages