Need a comfortable car for a long commute

My wife needs a new car. She's happy with her old Ford Fiesta, but her commute is going to get much longer next month and she needs something which suits a 50 mile trip. Lane control, adaptive cruise control and a comfortable quiet ride are essential. What do you suggest?

Asked on 19 July 2016 by stamforded

For ultimate day to day economy for this sort of use, diesel is still best, but there can be a lot of hidden maintenance costs not covered by warranty even if it's a five or seven year warranty. It's really a difference between around 50mpg for a modern 1.2 turbo petrol and 60mpg + for a 1.5 or 1.6 diesel.

Small Fiesta size hatchbacks don't tend to get things like Lane Control that can be very dodgy anyway (it was on a Volvo XC90 T8 that boasts the very latest kit). Adaptive cruise can work or can be a nuisance because it can prevent pulling out to overtake. I's think along the lines of a Mazda 2 or the forthcoming new Citroen C3, though that won;t be here until next year.