Could you warn your readers to check the tyres when they use a hire car?

A warning to all car rental users. Check the tyre condition before taking car out of the dimly-lit airport collection point. In August, I rented a car from Hertz in Vancouver, Canada. On our first long journey, the roadholding was poor, with noticeable vibration. I stopped and checked the car over and realised that the rear tyres were under-inflated and completely worn through. I called Hertz immediately and they were sympathetic, but after a number of calls, confirmed that I would have to get the tyres replaced locally and then reclaim the cost when I brought the car back.

On returning the car in Calgary, as per our booking, I received more sympathy but no refund. Apparently, I would get my refund in a week. Now, two months later, I still have no refund, despite raising it with Hertz Customer Services and forwarding copies of all the invoices and associated paperwork. I will keep chasing, but I have little faith that Hertz will ever resolve this issue. So, please warn other readers to be extremely careful when hiring cars. This car was completely unsafe and the results could have been disastrous.

Warning duly posted. Check the tyres for damage as well as the rest of the car, photograph any damage, and mark it on the sheet before driving it away.