Which convertible to replace our Hyundai i30?

I drive a Vauxhall Insignia Elite hatchback with leather upholstery, satnav and all the bells and whistles. Terrific car, I'm delighted with it. Currently, my wife drives a Hyundai i30 hatchback, which is three years old. We are thinking of selling it and buying a convertible, as, after many years of financial struggle, we are now able to indulge ourselves to a modest degree. Given the size of our double garage we cannot fit anything much wider than the Hyundai, the limit being by a few inches. We are thinking of getting something less than one year old with less than 7500 miles on the clock, possibly an ex-demonstration model. But what make and model? We looked at a 1.4-litre and 2.0-litre Volkswagen Golf which, with the diesel engine, apparently delivers amazing fuel efficiency. But there must be other makes and models. Have you any recommendations including, if you plumped for a Golf, which model you prefer?

Asked on 6 April 2013 by RT, London SW1

Audi A3 and BMW 1 Series convertibles are small and sweet. Best not diesel unless you intend driving 20,000 miles a year in it. The 1.4TSI 122 in the Golf and A3 is entirely adequate. And try to stick to 16-inch wheels in order to enjoy at least some ride comfort.