Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

I'm buying a new car, do I go for petrol or diesel?

I'm buying a Mercedes-Benz E-Class Convertible. Do I buy petrol or diesel? Which model do you recommend?

Asked on 21 August 2020 by

The Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet is a great car. In fact, in my humble opinion, it's one of the best luxury soft-tops on sale: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/e-clas.../

If you cover long distances on a regular basis (15+ miles per journey) then a diesel will be fine. The E 220d is a good all-rounder, with low fuel costs and decent performance. If you want a diesel with a bit of high octane sparkle then go for the six-cylinder diesel, badged 400d.

If you plan to use the car for lots of short journeys then avoid diesel as you'll be asking for DPF (diesel particulate filter) problems. The four-cylinder petrol E 300 is a good place to start, but I'm a big fan of the E 400 which is smooth, powerful and capable of hitting 62mph in under six seconds.