Regattable decision

My daughter who lives near Henley has recently got an academic job at Oxford that requires her to commute there on most days. Her venerable 1998R Nissan Almera is still reliable but has very expensive fuel consumption. Could you please recommend a reliable, economical car with good mpg and low VED and insurance that will be roomy enough to carry books, computer, etc. daily? Up to £10k.

For £10k she can probably do a deal on a new Mazda 2 1.3TS2. £30 tax, 50mpg, pretty to look at and lots of fun to drive. Or, of course, a new or nearly new FIAT 500 1.2. But don't dismiss the new Dacia Sandero, from £7,395 for one with a 900cc 90PS turbo petrol engine.