Do 'snow socks' work?

I would like to ask if you have any experience of 'Snow Socks' for winter driving, that fit over the two driving wheels of front or rear drive vehicles as an alternative to snow chains? My vehicle was in a Saab main dealership this week for service and this product was being promoted. I have a SAAB 9-3 Aero estate and the appropriate sock for my front tyres was retailing at approximately £64.

They work well, like winter tyres, by picking up loose snow and using snow against snow to provide traction. But you have to take them off as soon as you reach a solid surface or they get ripped to shreds. And you may find the end of the car not fitted with them becomes uncontrollable.