Should I call for assistance if I need to change a wheel on the motorway?

I was advised by someone in the motor trade not to change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway, but to call the RAC/AA to do it because their van with its flashing lights will offer some protection from fast passing traffic. Would you agree with this advice?

Asked on 2 April 2012 by CG, Farnham

Answered by Honest John
Yes, or call the Highways Agency or traffic police to angle a vehicle with flashing lights on the hard shoulder before you. It's still very scary changing an offside tyre - step back six inches and you can get hamburgered. This is why runflat tyres save a lot of lives. You don’t have to stop at all on the hard shoulder.
Similar questions
A friend recently attended a Speed Awareness Course and said that they had been told the average time stopped on a motorway hard shoulder before being hit from behind is 25 minutes. Is this correct? If...
I was most saddened to read of the death of a policeman, struck down by a HGV on the M1 while helping a lady who had broken down on the hard shoulder. PC Goodlad, of the Wakefield police, was off duty...
Recently my wife’s six-year old KIA Picanto would not start, so we called the AA. The patrolman who turned up diagnosed a dead battery. He said that he had a replacement in his van and would we like him...

Ask Honest John

Value my car