Should I call for assistance if I need to change a wheel on the motorway?

I was advised by someone in the motor trade not to change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway, but to call the RAC/AA to do it because their van with its flashing lights will offer some protection from fast passing traffic. Would you agree with this advice?

Asked on 2 April 2012 by CG, Farnham

Yes, or call the Highways Agency or traffic police to angle a vehicle with flashing lights on the hard shoulder before you. It's still very scary changing an offside tyre - step back six inches and you can get hamburgered. This is why runflat tyres save a lot of lives. You don’t have to stop at all on the hard shoulder.