Young driver speeding

My 19 year old son has had a full licence since 26th February this year.

Today I received a NIP relating to an offence of 40mph in a 30mph zone.
I am the registered keeper of the car but he was definitely the driver and is suitably gutted, significantly because the offence was committed and not because he got caught.

As you know I have a few days to return the NIP and "dob" him in. Is there anything you can suggest I/we do to reduce the severity of the situation?

I suspect that as 40mph is greater than the 10% + 2 guidance, meaning a speed awareness course is not available.

Is he likely to lose his licence over this first offence?

By the way, thanks for the help with a DVLA problem earlier in the year.

Asked on 14 December 2011 by tired runner

Answered by Honest John
I think it requires two offences in the first 5 years to lose a licence. But there is every chance he will be offered a speed awareness course. You just have to hope so. These are now far better than they were in the past.
Similar questions
I was driving round a bend on a dual carriageway doing a silly 90mph. I couldn’t pull in as there was a row of traffic and a car behind me. As I turned round the bend, I noticed a mobile police van on...
Which would be the best used car for under £2k for a young driver to insure? I've looked at some 1.0L engines but some are over £3k for insurance and some are under £2k. Does it not just go on the engine...
My daughter (20 yrs) is looking for the a larger car to replace her Peugeot 108 to suitability transport her large dog while keeping insurance low. We are considering cars like Ford Focus Estate, Ford...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer