Can I challenge a Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding?

Can I challenge a speeding ticket issued from a handheld camera on a bridge over the dual carriageway I was travelling on? I was doing in the region of 53mph on my speedometer in a 50 mph area. I believe you should be able to ask the officer using the camera for its serial number and date last calibrated but this is not possible when the equipment is on another road inaccessible to me.

Asked on 2 October 2023 by DAVID SLACK

Answered by Craig Cheetham
If you wish to challenge a speeding ticket then you cannot do this via the police in any circumstance - instead, you have to go to court and the court has to agree that your grounds to contest are fair and correct. You do have a right to see the calibration certificate and any photographic evidence but you must request this through the court system. If the force responsible cannot produce the evidence or the calibration certificate then the conviction may well be overturned, but the flip side is that if the conviction is deemed to be sound, you may well find yourself liable for court fees and a fine on top of the original fixed penalty. We would advise discussing your case with a specialist motoring lawyer before going any further as legal advice is beyond our remit, other than to tell you that you have the right to appoint a appoint a third party legal representative to assist you.
Similar questions
I got flashed by a speed camera on a motorway gantry even though there was no speed limit displayed. If I receive a ticket can I opt for a speed awareness course and if so will I still get penalty points?...
I genuinely can't remember making a trip up a certain dual carriageway one morning in April 2017 when my car was photographed by a police camera travelling at 38mph. I have requested photographic evidence...
After 50 years clean licence I got caught doing 36mph past a camera. Should I just pay up or go to Court? I am, of course, guilty.

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer