Suitable replacement for 1998 E-Class?

My dad drives a 1998 Mercedes E-Class with over 160,000 miles on the clock but it's now getting expensive to maintain. Could you suggest a suitable alternative for under £5,000?

He's found a 2004 E220 CDI but drives less than 2,000 miles a year so not sure if diesel will be suitable. And I understand that models prior to 2006 had a lot of problems. He's used to big cars so unfortunately narrows down the choices.

Asked on 17 January 2022 by Shaileen

Answered by Russell Campbell
An E-Class sounds like a good shout if he's fond of the brand. A petrol would be ideal for his mileage and he'll probably get a car that's in better condition than the equivalent diesel. Your budget should get a car that's got less than 80,000 miles on the clock and a full service history should mean it has plenty of life left in it. Our review will give you more info on the car and issues that we're aware of to look out for: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/e-clas.../