What's the best small car with a big boot on a £9,500 budget?

I want a used car that's got a large boot to fit my dog in and rear seats that fold flat. I go camping often so the car needs space for bags as well as the dog. I want something reliable, not too expensive to get repaired and a low tax bracket and good fuel economy are must haves. I'd like a car with low mileage, if possible, and while I'd love some tech, it's not a requirement. It'll mostly be used in the city (including in tight-ish parking spaces) so the smaller the better, again not a must though.

Asked on 13 January 2022 by Ruth Moody

Answered by Russell Campbell
I'd recommend the Skoda Fabia Estate SE fitted with the 90PS 1.2-litre petrol engine and a manual gearbox (which doesn't suffer the auto's issues), your budget will be just enough to get a 2016 car with 40,000 miles on the clock.

It's a small car with a big boot and it's very well packaged – double check the cars you look at have the adjustable boot floor, which leaves a nice flat load area with the back seats down.

SE models have fairly basic specification but do get air-conditioning, which you'll appreciate in summer. If air-con isn't a must-have, you'll get a basic S model with 20,000 miles on the clock for the same money.

We list issues to look out for, here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-estate-2...d