What should I buy as a first car?

I am 17 and hopefully on the cusp of passing my test. I have between £750 and £1,000. I’m looking for a car with low insurance costs and running cost. Have you got any suggestions?

Asked on 3 December 2021 by Will Hodson

Used car prices are currently inflated so, unfortunately, your £1,000 won't be going very far! I'd recommend searching for cars advertised locally to you. Look for something that looks like it's been cared for, with a long MoT and, ideally, evidence of regular servicing. Be open-minded about what it is – condition is much more important than the actual model at this price. Once you've found some potential candidates, shop around for insurance quotes. And don't limit yourself to little 1.0-litre Vauxhall Corsas and the like – there are occasionally some obscure gems which are surprisingly cheap to insure for young drivers.