What's a smaller alternative to my wonderful Honda CR-V?

I like the idea of downsizing marginally from my current 2015 Honda CRV - the newer model is wider as well as slightly longer.

Its replacement needs to be automatic, while I want something with improved economy (current real mpg is 33.7 on the auto CR-V) and with Honda reliability.

What I don't want to sacrifice is the spacious feel and comfort of a bigger car. Do I look at the slightly narrower Kia Sportage, or the smaller Honda HR-V, or one of the Skoda SUVs?

Or should I simply stay with a bigger car and have another Honda CR-V?

Asked on 10 November 2021 by Barney

Answered by Russell Campbell
The three cars you suggest are all excellent in their own right.

The Kia Sportage is very sensibly designed, practical inside and has an excellent seven-year warranty.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/kia/sportage-2016/

The Skoda Karoq is even better designed with an interior that feels well built and is littered with smaller storage areas. Its boot is big and practical, its 1.5-litre petrol engine is spritely and will be cheaper to run than your Honda.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/karoq-2017/

The Honda HR-V hybrid is cheap to run and has a well designed interior, although you'll like find the boot a little small.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/hr-v-2021/

Another car I would consider is the Toyota CH-R – it's smart looking and nice to drive, plus its hybrid engines are very good on fuel. Toyota arguably has an even better reputation for reliability than Honda.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/c-hr-2016/