Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks


My stepson gave his car to a dealership to sell on his behalf, they have sold it and now have gone into receivership and so he’s not got any cash or car. Is there anything he can do to recoup his money?

Asked on 5 December 2009 by

Answered by Honest John
Wasn't theirs to sell, so cannot be considered to have been an asset of the garage. Contact the receiver and tell them the car was not an asset of the garage, therefore either the car or the proceeds from the sale of it have been STOLEN from your son. It's not a civil matter, it is theft, and if the money is not forthcoming you will involve the police and take criminal action against the receivers.
Similar questions
My Zafira was stolen in January and my insurance company wrote the car off as soon as I reported the theft. The car was recovered with no damage a few weeks later by which time I had another car. A check...
I would be grateful for your advice concerning our attempt to purchase a car sourced on the AutoTrader website. My son saw a Citroen C5 Estate advertised in September 2012. He called the dealer and discussed...
My son bought a new car almost three years ago and paid for GAP insurance at the time, to cover the difference in the insurance settlement and the cost of a replacement car should the car be stolen. The...

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car