Should I get a Honda Jazz or Ford Fiesta?

I've narrowed my search down to a Ford Fiesta 1.0 turboboost or Honda Jazz 1.33. Both are 2016 models with just under 20,000 miles on the clock. I intend to run the car for 10 years and add a further 70,000 miles to the clock in that time. I prefer the Fiesta for driving and refinement. However, I worry about reliability so that makes me lean towards the Jazz. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 3 February 2021 by Tony OBoyle

Both great cars but you're right that the Jazz has a better reliability record. Ford's EcoBoost engines can be problematic, but we're certainly seeing fewer reports of issues with later models. With regular servicing, it shouldn't cost a great deal to run – there are many, many happy Fiesta owners out there.

See here for common Jazz issues: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2014/

And Fiesta issues: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/fiesta-2013/good

As a compromise, would you consider a Fiesta with the 1.25-litre engine? It's not as punchy as the 1.0-litre EcoBoost but it'll prove to be very reliable.