Has road tax increased?

We are going to buy a new car in March. Has car road tax gone up now?

Asked on 18 January 2021 by K LANGLEY

Vehicle excise duty (VED) was changed in 2017. All new cars are now taxed against three VED bands - zero, standard, premium - with taxation calculated on a combination of emissions and the list price of the vehicle.

There is a flat standard rate of £150 for all new cars except those emitting zero CO2. Cars with a list price above £40,000 pay an additional £325 per year - £475 in total for petrol or diesel - for five years in which the standard rate is paid (from the second year the vehicle is taxed).

For more information on road tax, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/cheap-road-tax
Tags: road tax ved