What's the best way to buy a car for just a few months of use?

My daughter is in the UK for a couple of months and is having trouble finding a suitable car rental deal. Could she buy a suitable car (new or secondhand) and negotiate a deal where she can return it for an agreed price (or pay so much per mile)?

Asked on 5 October 2020 by Peter Lewis

We're not aware of any car dealers offering this but it's worth raising the question with small, independent dealers - they might be up for it if there's profit in it for them. Buying privately might be a cheaper option - buy a cheap car, run it for a few months and then sell it privately (or to a car buying service). You're likely to lose less money this way.
Tags: